You know you're getting old when...

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
...you remember a time when the TLC channel wasn't all shows like "Sister Wives", "My 5 Wives", "Honey Booboo", gypsy weddings, and crazy ass people with 20 kids.

I remember when TLC was mostly Home Improvement, dinosaur stuff for kids, and other educational shows for kids and preteens. Nowadays, if you wanna be on TLC, it's as easy as having 20 kids, having a dozen wives, being in a beauty pageant, being a gypsy, being a dwarf, making cakes, or even just getting married.

Don't get me wrong, I like plenty of shows on TLC: Long Island Medium, Cake Boss, Little People Big World, and some others. It's just... funny... how TLC has changed in the past 20 years, and how much ridiculous crap is on it. :p

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Lmao, we were watching a show on how this family had like 17 children and the owned 3 mini vans and have a 5 bedroom house and everyone has to share and other b/s.

And my dad was yelling at the tv like...

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
[img=200x200]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6867483648/h99D0476E/[/img]

Even though I'm not that old, when I was younger, my mom used to always watch those medical shows, occasionally on TLC. (Some weren't that bad, actually.) Now we have "Sex Sent Me to the ER" o-o

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Holy_Rabbitz said:

Even though I'm not that old, when I was younger, my mom used to always watch those medical shows, occasionally on TLC. (Some weren't that bad, actually.) Now we have "Sex Sent Me to the ER" o-o
lmao That show can be quite hilarious at times... One of them I saw had a guy who used to be like 400 pounds, and he and his girlfriend got busy for the first time and he shoved her through the wall and gave her a concussion. :D

whiteNnerdy234

Aren't you the guy wth all the commands?
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Canada
Ar7ific1al said:
Holy_Rabbitz said:

lmao That show can be quite hilarious at times... One of them I saw had a guy who used to be like 400 pounds, and he and his girlfriend got busy for the first time and he shoved her through the wall and gave her a concussion. :D
Say what? No way! I want the link to that if you can get it XD

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Chiplover2 said:
-_-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Couponing
Still somewhat educational - you learn about how people save crap tons of money with coupons. Extreme Couponing is a million times better than... honey booboo.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
Very true...
But NOTHING can hold a candle to Cake Boss.
Misc. Annoying Female Italian Voice Coming From Every Direction said:
Buddy, we're all outta fondant cakes out here!
Buddy, you've gotta consult! Get your butt out here!
Buddy, we need more cookies in the front!

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Chiplover2 said:
Very true...
I love Cake Boss and Bakery Boss. If it's got food, I will watch it. xD

xInZax

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
I sometimes feel old when students don't know what I'm talking about when I mention playing Pokemon Red on my Gameboy Pocket. I also feel very old knowing that a few of my students were born after September 11, 2001.

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
xInZaxx said:
I sometimes feel old when students don't know what I'm talking about when I mention playing Pokemon Red on my Gameboy Pocket. I also feel very old knowing that a few of my students were born after September 11, 2001.
I get a little sad when people don't know what a Game Boy is, or a SNES/N64. I'm not trying to be the little kid who acts like they "remember" all the things before them. I take a high interest in learning about Nintendo, and they've inspired a lot of technology we have today. 

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Holy_Rabbitz said:
Chiplover2 said:
Very true...
I love Cake Boss and Bakery Boss. If it's got food, I will watch it. xD
PREACH IT, BROTHA! lol No but really, I agree with that sentiment. I <3 food. If it's food, I'll watch it. Hell, I even watch late-night paid advertising for cooking appliances and stuff just to see the food. LOL But I do love Cake Boss.

xInZaxx said:
I honestly wish some of the younger kids could go back in time and relive the glory days of video games, back when they were still pretty new. There's NOTHING like watching the tech evolve. In the past 8 years, there hasn't really been THAT much evolution in video game tech. To be quite honest, I feel like the biggest innovation in video game graphics over the past several years has been tessellation, parallaxing and global illumination. Even ray casting is very old technology, for which nvidia is trying very hard to develop graphics hardware that can perform the tasks in real time at relatively low enough cost to be used in a game. I would love love love LOVE to see realtime ray casting in games.... omg I love ray casting.

Holy_Rabbitz said:
xInZaxx said:
I get a little sad when people don't know what a Game Boy is, or a SNES/N64. I'm not trying to be the little kid who acts like they "remember" all the things before them. I take a high interest in learning about Nintendo, and they've inspired a lot of technology we have today. 
If you look at all of gaming from then and up to now, you'll notice that in the earlier days, game design was a lot more important than anything else. As time went along, graphics became more important. Now again, if you examine the timeline, you'll notice we're beginning to relapse... Now, graphics technology for games is leveling out to the point where there isn't really much we can do to provide drastic improvement.

At this point, we're beginning to relapse and get back to good design. I personally feel like this is thanks in part to the explosion of indie games. For decades, games have been defined by the first party. Games have been dictated by the titan studios like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Now, the third party is getting a say. The third party are making games on their own that give the titans of the industry a run for their money. No longer are Valve, Bethesda, Gearbox, and others at the top of the mound. Now, indie developers are scaling the mountain and making their way to the top right beside the titans.

And what are these indie titans taking with them? Good design, success in innovations where the titans have failed, and quality products. I think a lot of gamers are getting fed up with the same half baked trash we've been getting. There's a new Call of Duty every year. There's a new Assassin's Creed every year now. There's a new X every single year. The industry is extremely saturated with these half baked triple A titles being cranked out by the titans. People are becoming wise, and turning to more original, quality, innovative content, creating titans out of once unknown indie developers.

This has gone way off topic. This should probably be its own debate thread... xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)