What is CraftBlock?

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
This is a discussion which needs to take place, and it needs to take place now. It's directed mainly towards kawohi, seeing as how this is her server, she started this community, and at the end of the day, she gets the final say in most things.

What is CraftBlock? I mean really, what IS CraftBlock?
We need a definitive, solid goal for CraftBlock. Pick a goal. It was my understanding that CraftBlock took after Buildworx and was a survival building server.

We can't please everyone, that is quite literally impossible. We need to determine what we want for CraftBlock, and go for that. We need to stop all this "some players like this so we'll add that" and "players don't like this so let's get rid of it."

The players help define the server, yes. But you know what? They don't control it. We control it. We need to take a step back and look at who we are and what we do. I personally have zero desire to just cater to every whim of whatever our player base happens to be at any given point in time. I want to run a server, not cater to what the players think the server should be.

As server owners, it's out job and position to create our own path for the server. It is not the players' decision to make.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see what we do as "server administration." We don't just run a server. We design, craft, and deliver an experience for our players. That experience should be what we want the server to be, not what the players want it to be.

This is, for the most part, how development of software and games works. The players can influence the direction of the design, but at the end of the day, it's the developers' decision, not the players' decision.

So let's sort this out... What is CraftBlock? What is its purpose, its goal, its direction? We need to get away from the zigzag pattern and the branched path that we're starting to go off on. We need to get on a straight path, and deliver the experience we want for our players.

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com
I've always believed that CraftBlock's purpose was to promote awesome building skills. I believe I heard it from kawohi, but I may have taken it in the wrong context, because I had no clue if she was talking about something else. Anyways, I agree completely with you, Ar7. I don't know if you're talking about the server or the community as a whole, but I'll just say this. I do not deal much with Main anymore since I updated NanoBlock, things have been running much smoother performance-wise, along with the moderators not as active as I'd like them, so I have to monitor it a good bit. As NanoBlock stands, we are doing fairly well. We have gotten, I believe, one donation since the reset. Better than it was, for sure. Haha. However, I honestly believe we should hold off adding more servers until we make sure all the other ones are running in full gear. Like I said, I don't know how Main is doing, but NanoBlock, as it stands, is in about 2nd gear. We're slowly getting there. You're right, Ar7, we don't have anything to go off of, really, as in a goal. It's kind of knocked me around quite a bit because I don't know what I'm supposed to shoot for, ya know? But anyways, I'm sure we can figure something out.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@JagSwag2014
Yes, I mean the CraftBlock (main) server. Not the entirety of CraftBlock. :p

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Ar7ific1al said:
This is a discussion which needs to take place, and it needs to take place now. It's directed mainly towards kawohi, seeing as how this is her server, she started this community, and at the end of the day, she gets the final say in most things.
I don't like that. You, Avoxsas and me are the owners. We all should make decisions and then talk about it. I do like to make the big decisions (Anything that can change the servers/community/play as a whole) but the smaller things, you and avoxsas can do (I would like an update in admin forum though so i know about it and post my opinion on it as well). But please don't feel like I'm 100% the boss... because I really want us to be a team and make decisions together. 

So, What is CraftBlock? Hm. Well, I do like the direction we're already going. We're focused on survival with some creative aspects of it. Nothing is 100% creative. CraftBlock, NanoBlock, PokeBlock, ChocoBlock, and soon the yet-to-be named pvp server is all focused on survival. I like the idea of players growing in the community and the server at the same time.  That's pretty much survival.

I don't know what you can call that though. I did have a description "CraftBlock is a community of servers focused on Survival". Not sure if that sounds right though.

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Please don't go ahead with the PVP server til we have other servers sorted. Main has hardly any mods and none of us Owners have time to monitor to any degree. I don't see the point in a PVP server at all honestly. All of our other servers are non-pvp unless players choose to do it, and it's a rare choice. Current players probably wouldn't enjoy a PVP server; last time, everyone got butthurt because they felt betrayed by their friends. The CraftBlock community isn't PVP-centric. Everyone got ragey and then started bitching on Main about what happened on Chaos. More trouble, more kid fights, no mods to deal with it.

Also, PVP server needs planning. Zax himself said he was basically messing around with pixelmon, kawohi liked the idea and BAM, new server. Very little thought or planning went into it. The same happened for Chaos; it was an idea pushed out because a few people wanted a PVP server and it ultimately failed because we did not think ahead.

I think it was Timmy who wanted a PVP server? Well, where is he? He isn't active...at all. I'm pretty sure Ar7 has neither the time nor the motivation to be fixing up yet another server. I can't speak for Jag as I don't know his current choices. :3

We need to focus on the servers we currently have instead of rolling out new server after server. Pixelmon doesn't have the greatest performance. If we can get anywhere with donation packages on that, let's try to upgrade to a better server box so we can slap it with the rest of the servers. Sort out our current servers and then look for new ways to expand.

EDIT: I know this doesn't answer Ar7's question at all. I'm just putting it out there that adding more servers won't help us in the long run if we don't have enough people to manage them and don't put enough thought in before opening them to players.

Timmy9997

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Australia
Hey! I am active. Not on the server, but on the forums I read most the posts and if I need to comment then I comment. I agree, Chaos didn't have the right amount of planning and craftblock now has 4 separate servers and we can't really afford another one but people were definitely interested in a PVP server and there has been a couple of posts asking when Chaos will go up again. At the moment I'm going through my HSC year which is really important in australia so I wouldn't be able to manage it without the help of a lot of people - Ar7 is already managing main with the help of Avox and Kawohi, Valk and I aren't really online at the same times anymore, Jag is managing NanoBlock, so it'd be unrealistic to put up another server. But I do disagree when you say no one wants it. I know all of my friends who are always on the teamspeak would love a PVP server (we are often looking for a factions raiding server but can't find any fresh good ones). IF it got set up, all of my friends would join and I might be able to get a few more from my school, which would give us at least 10 people who would play on it. That adds 10 to the craftblock community. Then we advertise (another reason why chaos failed) and people will come. If they don't like chaos they can go to main, nanoblock, chocoblock or pokeblock.

I think one goal for craftblock should be to expand the community. We have 4 servers running but I don't really see high numbers on the side bar. We are lacking in donations (as far as I can tell) so advertising should be whacked up to bring in new members because new members = new donations. I donated $5 last week after I saw the post from Kawohi because I always use the teamspeak with my mates. My friend donated $5 a few weeks back too, but that wouldn't have happened if we had no access to the teamspeak. (It sounds like I'm trying to imply something here but I'm not, I'm just saying that more members = more donations which I guess is kinda obvious now that I think about it)

But yeah, PVP server is unrealistic at the time being (In my opinion). While I would LOVE to run it and all my friends are already on board with building a new spawn/map, we don't have much time to run a full-time server.
ALSO I AM HERE I AM JUST QUIET ;)

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Avoxsas said:
Please don't go ahead with the PVP server til we have other servers sorted. Main has hardly any mods and none of us Owners have time to monitor to any degree. I don't see the point in a PVP server at all honestly. All of our other servers are non-pvp unless players choose to do it, and it's a rare choice. Current players probably wouldn't enjoy a PVP server; last time, everyone got butthurt because they felt betrayed by their friends. The CraftBlock community isn't PVP-centric. Everyone got ragey and then started bitching on Main about what happened on Chaos. More trouble, more kid fights, no mods to deal with it.

Also, PVP server needs planning. Zax himself said he was basically messing around with pixelmon, kawohi liked the idea and BAM, new server. Very little thought or planning went into it. The same happened for Chaos; it was an idea pushed out because a few people wanted a PVP server and it ultimately failed because we did not think ahead.

I think it was Timmy who wanted a PVP server? Well, where is he? He isn't active...at all. I'm pretty sure Ar7 has neither the time nor the motivation to be fixing up yet another server. I can't speak for Jag as I don't know his current choices. :3

We need to focus on the servers we currently have instead of rolling out new server after server. Pixelmon doesn't have the greatest performance. If we can get anywhere with donation packages on that, let's try to upgrade to a better server box so we can slap it with the rest of the servers. Sort out our current servers and then look for new ways to expand.

EDIT: I know this doesn't answer Ar7's question at all. I'm just putting it out there that adding more servers won't help us in the long run if we don't have enough people to manage them and don't put enough thought in before opening them to players.
When I said "soon", I mean't whenever everything else is done. I know theres still a ton to do for the servers and if we was to ever open another server, id' like to make sure the other servers are straight. That would take a while. So soon as in my next goal.

The PVP server was a long discussed server idea that I had (It wasn't timmys idea first, he just really liked the idea..) when CraftBlock started. Everyone seemed to like the idea of it as well back when it started. 

You're right....  We could use that space for more plugins on main and nanoblock anyways.  

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Sorry @Timmy9997 I never saw you online or posting, so I didn't realise you were still interested in any of this.

Will post better reply tonight when I'm not driving to work.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
What is CraftBlock?
@Ar7ific1al Good question.

I see it, personally, as a server where everyone gathers in and shows the community what each person can do individually in Minecraft. Everyone's little bits and pieces makes up what we know and love today as CraftBlock.

Some people are skilled builders. Some people can have a nice chat with the other players about their day. Some players are hardcore survivors, and have very efficient XP grinders and islands in the middle of the ocean where their base lays. Some people can have vast farms and make their way to great fortune and prosperity. But, in the end, we all like playing Minecraft with other people.

NanoBlock is for Tekkit lovers and PokeBlock is for Pokemon lovers, but it was really hard for me to think of CraftBlock is, at the end of the day. This is because there isn't really too much of a method to the madness underneath the community of the server besides Minecraft with a few plugins that aid in survival and the economy.

@kawohi: We are a very competitive community, but I don't see PvP on here, because we aren't the kind of competitive that wants to hang each other's intestines on each other's Christmas trees as garland. That's more of a hatred in my opinion. Lol. We do, however want the best pumpkin farm, or the best build, or the best whatever it is. That's one of my motives to keep playing.

Another of my motives is to come back on to a caring community after a long day at school. It's just an opportunity to talk to someone that doesn't give a crap about your grades, or your income, or how pretty you are. They just make me happy :).

Anyway, to sum it up, CraftBlock for me is a ton of fun and caring people that all like to play Minecraft in some way or another (as of now).

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@Chiplover2
That's nice and all, but the question is about what the server is, not what type of place it is. lol :p

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
Ar7ific1al said:
@Chiplover2
That's nice and all, but the question is about what the server is, not what type of place it is. lol :p
The two words that always defy me and my very existence:

I digress.

What it is? It's a semi-vanilla Minecraft server with a few server plugins that aid in the survival and economic concepts, if it comes down to fine print. It's got a few modifications, but not enough to overwhelm Minecraft. It promotes good builders and good managers of towns that give basic structure and function to the server. Everyone else basically plays along with these people, and that's how I've seen it work, without all the emotion the community gives. Lol.

That's basically the skeleton of the server from my eyes, without all my magical fairy dust from my first post. The fairy dust is just what makes it fun :3.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
I got it wrong, I didn't see your reply, I thought you mean't what CraftBlock itself is.

Well, it's a survival server with an creative aspect to it. We focus on building towns and structures. It's also player vs environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)