Valks Drawing Tips - THE HUMAN BODY: PROPORTIONS

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
DRAWING 101: Lesson 1
THE HUMAN BODY
PROPORTIONS

I've had a pencil in my hand since I was 2 years-old. According to my Mom. Haha But when I was in High School, I had a great Art teacher. She gave me some great tips on a lot of things and different techniques. The information that I use the most for drawing people are contained withing the following images. 

I was going through some old stuff in my closet and came across these. I know that there are some artists here that might enjoy these and hopefully get some use of them, too.

These are for proportions of the human body. Very, very useful for drawing the human form. Unless you're intending the person to look awkward and unproportioned. lol

THE HEAD

THE BODY

I hope these help you to become better at drawing the human form. Remember, these are not "rules". Everything within art has as much play room as you want to have with it. These are guidelines. Not pronouncements. Have fun with it. If you're not having fun or enjoying what you're doing, you're doing it wrong. lol Make shit up. Try new things. Distort the laws of physics with your mind. The paper is your Matrix and your pen/pencil is your Neo. You have complete freedom. 

These are only a few tips on one subject withing drawing. If anyone has anything to add, do so. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. :D 

Here are a few more images that I found in one of my old Wizard magazines. Drawing the head (Wizard Magazine) I always loved reading their drawing tips from the pro comic illustrators. I may add more of these threads later if the demand is high enough and I have the time. Until then... Have Fun & B... Well, my signature says that now. :p

Terminator_T800

Hitman
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Germany
RE: Valks Drawing Tips

I gave up years ago to try drawing a human. It's something on my impossible to do list

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA

Nothing is impossible. But some things are improbable. No wait...

Nothing is true... Everything is permitted. :p AC reference. :D

But seriously... Try. Practice. Practice. Practice. And keep moving forward. ;) Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, either way... you're right.

EDIT: Arts & Graphics section created. Thread moved. :) Thanks Jag!

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com

Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
Nothing is impossible. But some things are improbable. No wait...

Nothing is true... Everything is permitted. :p AC reference. :D

But seriously... Try. Practice. Practice. Practice. And keep moving forward. ;) Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, either way... you're right.

EDIT: Arts & Graphics section created. Thread moved. :) Thanks Jag!
You're welcome. :3
Had to fix permissions to the forum. I couldn't reply to you because the default permissions set it to where only guests could view the page, and that's it. :S
Oh well. :p

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013

Why is your notes in all caps?

Jokes aside, this is very handy. I wish I had this when I started, would have saved me a lot of time.
Thanks.

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA

JagSwag2014 said:
You're welcome. :3
Had to fix permissions to the forum. I couldn't reply to you because the default permissions set it to where only guests could view the page, and that's it. :S
Oh well. :p

Matx490

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Some where over the rainbow

Wow that really helped. Better than my art teacher lecturing about a body XD. I actually learned something so thanks valk :D

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013

Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
I just like the way all caps looks when it's written. Like comic books.
I don't like comic books, too much screaming.

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Somewhere over the Rainbow

I dropped art in school, since I prefer chinese and you can draw whenever you want.
Plus you need to make 6 masterpieces to pass it.

Terminator_T800

Hitman
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Germany

My parents tell me not to do art for my GCSE exams next year. Because the projects are a waste of time and take to long when you could be studying for other subjects

Nayxerr

mths? I'm Nayxerr now!
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013

I will have to check more into this and maybe get some ideas :) Thanks for the tips!

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)

Heads, heads everywhere XD. Thanks for taking all the drawing tips I've ever seen and condensing them into one post :).

As for others, I see this as an invaluable source of information! Use it :D.

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia

Im too lazy to even try this, I give up every time.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
In my opinion, hands are the hardest to draw with any accuracy... Hands were my Kryptonite when I cared to even try drawing humanoid figures. xD Just as well, hands are where many works of art show their weakness. I see many more bad hands than I do heads or even boobs for that matter. And trust me, a lot of people go really wrong with boobs... They aren't just circles on the chest, they have shape! lol

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Haha True. I also had much difficulty when drawing hands. But the thing is, if you're bad at something... Do it more! Practice! I assume that you became better affter doing so, Ar77y? Judging by your wording ("Hands were my Kryptonite"). I use to draw my characters hands with them behind them and in their pockets and stuff, until I was told to draw them as often as possible. Sometimes, I would just draw hands all day long.

I recommend this. Just holding your hand up in front of you, and draw it. Make weird and different poses. And then draw it. Even if it sucks at first, it'll get better the more you get the feel for it at train your brain how to do it. It's like muscle memory. Thank you for bringing this up, Ar7. Very good point.

Practice! Practice! Practice! :D

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
I assume that you became better affter doing so, Ar77y? Judging by your wording ("Hands were my Kryptonite").
lol Hell no. I don't draw. I can't be assed for the most part. xD I don't like paper or drawing on paper, and I don't have a tablet that's worth a crap. Plus, I don't feel like taking (nor can I) the vast amounts of time it would require me to get adept at using my tablet. I'd rather have a tablet I could actually physically draw on, like one of those nice tablet PCs... Those things are hella expensive though. :/

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Zombie_Pigman said:
Why do you need art if we have minecraft?
Without art we would not have Minecraft. Without art we would not have the internet. Without art we would not have CraftBlock. Without art we would not have the universe. #RealTalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Minecraft Server List