Staff & Minechat.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Well, I think we all have some different opinions about staff using Minechat. Let's discuss it.

I personally think that if you can't get on the computer to help moderate, you can still be on Minechat answering questions. I think if you're willing to do that, you're awesome. But if you spend all of your time on Minechat, then that sucks.

Narbula

The best thing since Faxbook.
Supporter
Crafter
Mar 24, 2014
Michigan
I feel that you can't be a proper moderator through minechat. How are you supposed to do even simple things like look at peoples houses to promote them? What about checking griefs? You can't do any of that through minechat. Yes, logging on minechat is fine every once in a while, but not every day.

rbhusker

Crafter
Jan 8, 2014
United States
I get on minechat quite a lot, and thats because i get kicked off after like 5 hours of playing, since my dad kicks me off. I jump on minechat so I can keep up with the community and help out in every way I possibly can. I like minechat, but i see the bad side of it too.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
I hate MineChat and all of that. Most of them cause the console to be flooded with NoCheatPlus violations because of the nature of the software. Staff can't adequately perform their moderator duties while using it, either. Players online who need help expect the moderators to actually be on the server, not just in a chat connected to the server. If I personally needed help from a mod, and the only mod online was unable to come and help me because they were on MineChat or whatever, I wouldn't be very happy.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
Yes that true, players are disappointed. It's not ideal. For a mod: they Re disadvantaged when they need to see something or someone and check grief.  But it's disappointing to support the ambassadors in promoting people when we see them say sorry I'm on minechat.  Quite a few ambassadors use minechat.  I might jump on minechat once in a while but if there was something happening that needed immediate action, minechat allows me to do kicking banning etc, but I mean observing someone who could be griefing or hacking.. Players needing promotion I will get to them soon enough.

So after all is said and done, would you discourage staff players including the ambassadors from using minechat whilst they are in those ranks? Or use it a little less they they are using it now? Or if they wanna help, then help fully or be demoted.  Ehh I think the last option would be the most ideal for everyone. Cause using minechat does not help the server fully but only in part with the responsibilities they've been given.

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
I'm not gonna censor myself this time:

I strongly dislike Minechat.

Here's why:

* It drastically hinders meaningful conversation about projects by filling the chat with random conversation.

* I see a player on-line and want to show them something but can't since they just sit there and flood the chat. So very disappointing.

If it's used by a staff member or an ambassador it's even more disturbing because that further encourages the use of this plague-like app.
(All the while said person can't fully do their job.)

If it was up to me I would like to have an auto-temp ban function that kicks in everytime someone uses the word Minechat (as soon as they log in with the app).

Might not be a realistic option, but a man can dream huh?

Anyway, maybe we could configure the auto-correct application on the server to change(as an example):

"_SunDust_ logged in using Minechat."

into

"_Sundust_ is right now devastatingly handicapped and can only help you by answering questions."

That might solve all our problems with Minechat.

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
Minechat is alright if it's absolutely necessary. I'm bored easily, so I don't like Minechat. It takes away the experience of Craftblock if that's what you spend most of your time on.

xInZax

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Can't you theoretically just load the console? I guess that really only applies to the Super Mods & Above though. Minechat doesn't seem sufficient for moderating purposes. It's a great way to chat with people though, and it's nice to see someone on that is a higher rank, simply chatting with the people. I don't think it's necessary to have them use it though, as it's almost impossible to moderate from it. Can you even do command functions?

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
xInZaxx said:
Can you even do command functions?
Unfortunately yes. We had an incident with a young ambassador that promoted blocklings via Minechat. -.-

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
IshrkI said:
xInZaxx said:
Can you even do command functions?
Unfortunately yes. We had an incident with a young ambassador that promoted blocklings via Minechat. -.-
Hmm. That don't sound too good ish.

Yeah can kick ban mute.

I agree it does not help to use minechat ideally.

Narbula

The best thing since Faxbook.
Supporter
Crafter
Mar 24, 2014
Michigan
Could we bring this thread to the attention of the newer staff members? Like maybe @rbhusker and @cbhusker because they're on minechat A LOT. I know Cb can't see this, but maybe rb could show him. c:

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I don't think those who use minechat so frequently each day are much needed for the staffing team.   I think we could find more reliable players who will not need to use minechat to be on the server.  

All they can basically help is with things in the chat.

I think we need staff who can fully participate, not give half of what they are capable of doing.

Some use it so maybe there needs to be a guideline like, no more then once a week?

If they are seen to be on minechat more then playing fully on the server, then they need a word too.

Maybe something like [Trial Mod],  [Mod] & [*Mod]
[Trial Ambassador], [Ambassador] & [*Ambassador]

[Ambassador] (role models with lesser responsibilities). & [Ambassador+](dedicated role models)

Err not too sure but thought I'd pass on the idea

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
_SunDust_ said:
I don't think those who use minechat so frequently each day are much needed for the staffing team.   I think we could find more reliable players who will not need to use minechat to be on the server.  

All they can basically help is with things in the chat.

I think we need staff who can fully participate, not give half of what they are capable of doing.

Some use it so maybe there needs to be a guideline like, no more then once a week?

If they are seen to be on minechat more then playing fully on the server, then they need a word too.

Maybe something like [Trial Mod],  [Mod] & [*Mod]
[Trial Ambassador], [Ambassador] & [*Ambassador]

[Ambassador] (role models with lesser responsibilities). & [Ambassador+](dedicated role models)

Err not too sure but thought I'd pass on the idea
You are correct.

rbhusker

Crafter
Jan 8, 2014
United States
After I just read all the new posts, and before they all rolled in, i havent used minechat in a while. If i do get on, which is not even every day, maybe couple of days, I just get on to show my face, and see how everyone is doing.

I took what everyone said about it seriously, and I have decided to avoid using the app the hardest I can.

I will inform cbhusker about this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)