Running running running

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
My final project requires me to create a walk cycle for the character I've been designing for the class. I'll post my progress here. :p

2014-03-28  05:22:06
Please disregard how robotic it looks. I'll add upper body motion later. What's important right now is the legs. I'll also improve that motion later, as well. :p
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkWOrH4A8g[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-28  05:29:54
As before, disregard how robotic it looks, and the upper body. Pay attention to the legs.

I noticed I didn't adjust the pelvis bobbing up and down to fit the time at which Jack's feet hit the ground, so I adjusted it. It looks a lot better even with just that one adjustment. lol
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKl9KpLunl8[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-28  05:53:31
Same as before, disregard the robotic upper body.

I figured I'd do a full rendered video instead of a playblast so everyone could see what Jack looks like in full (!!!!) color! WOW, COLOR TV! lol

I also cleaned up a little bit of the skin weights on the right (Jack's perspective) shoulder where a few vertices were jumping up... I didn't notice them until I did a first render fully textured animation.
Also, sorry about the misleading thumbnail. YouTube would only give me a blank video thumbnail so I used the superjack render as the thumbnail! :p
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73nEFzqLdQ8[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-28  06:55:57
I gave Jack a little bounce in its step. Later, I'll clean up the timing so it's less uniform in how it moves. I'll also make the eyes bounce, maybe make the pumpkin bob up and down a bit. :3
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeA6ryKDRA[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-28  08:15:13
I fixed a small discrepancy which resulted in looped playback "popping" at the end. The first and last frames were identical, resulting in a two-frame "pop" where the animation would stop very briefly. Here's a 5x loop of Jack walking, rendered frame-by-frame with mental ray (for the new glow effect from Jack's carved face) and stitched together into a  video. :p
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPMQYqXCGdw[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-28  23:15:15
Redid Jack's leg movement completely in this one. Also added some bouncy movement to its eyes, and a ground plane. Minor changes include shoulder movement from side to side and pelvis tilts forward when it steps forward.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJHw9xf1KE[/video]
<hr>
2014-03-31  21:40:16
Nearing completion, here. Accidentally left out the ground plane but oh well! :p

I fixed the "pop" at the start of each loop. The problem was this: the timing was off. Starting at frame 1, I was supposed to have a keyframe every 4 frames. So frame 1, keyframe. 2, 3, 4, 5 keyframe. 6, 7, 8, 9 keyframe. So-on and so-forth. Instead, I went:
1 keyframe, 2, 3, 4 keyframe, 5, 6, 7, 8 keyframe, 9, 10, 11, 12 keyframe... etc. See the problem? Instead of four frames between the first and second keyframes, there was 3. I offset all of the keyframes after the first by one, thus fixing the somewhat faster start.

In layman's terms, the very first "step" in Jack's animation is faster than all of the rest. Thus, when it loops around, Jack goes from a nice steady motion to a sudden quick motion, then back to a steady motion. That creates the "hitch" in Jack's movement that I was having a problem with.

Without further ado, here's the video. :p
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-qunsdqtk[/video]

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Woopsie! Accidentally posted this to the Minecraft general forum. Moved! xD

xInZax

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Very cool! I like the progression from the first trial to your fourth video.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
xInZaxx said:
Very cool! I like the progression from the first trial to your fourth video.
I'm actually working on a very tiny kink in the animation. A requirement for the assignment is that the cycle can be looped without any "popping" at the end. In other words, a smooth, looping animation. Because frame 32 and frame 1 are identical, there's a two-frame discrepancy in the animation. That tiny difference is so noticeable. My simple solution is to stop the animation at frame 31, where everything is JUST before being set back to the start, so when it hits frame 0 again, it's a perfect loop. lol

I made Jack's "face" (the carved out bits of the pumpkin) glow, so I'm rendering each frame now with mental ray (other rendering methods don't show the nice glow) because Maya can't export a video with mental ray; I have to stitch the individual frames together myself in a video. :p

EDIT: Also, Jack is glad to have some attention. It gets lonely sometimes when nobody replies. xD

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Added another video. And with that, I go to bed. In the past 6 days, I've only gone to be before 8 AM once. Today is no exception. xD 8:17 AM and I'm still doing homework. I like this class. :D

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Ar7ific1al said:
Added another video. And with that, I go to bed. I've only gone to be before 8 AM once. Today is no exception. xD 8:17 AM and I'm still doing homework. I like this class. :D
You butt oAo <3

Jack looks amazing, you've improved so much so quickly. :D

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Thats pretty awesome! Soon you should be able to make cartoons! :D

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Very fraking cool. Dude. This looks excellent! I can't wait to see where you go with this. Jack is awesome! :D

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
I'm so stoked. My grade in this class is almost perfect. I currently  have 674/690. 16 points off! Four points are off for two of my assignments - not really sure why one of them has two off, but my assignment for this past Wednesday got two off because there were some problems with one of Jack's arms in the rig that I couldn't fix. Then 12 more points are off because the first two weeks of class, I didn't "participate" (post on the class forum) for one of the 5 required days. So yeah, nothing serious. I'm doing better in this class than I have in any of my other classes, including my programming classes and the classes where I had to actually make games. lol

More coming on Jack's animation soon - gonna play with the eyes and make them "bounce" as Jack runs.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Avoxsas said:
Ar7ific1al said:
Added another video. And with that, I go to bed. I've only gone to be before 8 AM once. Today is no exception. xD 8:17 AM and I'm still doing homework. I like this class. :D
You butt oAo <3

Jack looks amazing, you've improved so much so quickly. :D
Butt? Whai? Cuz I went to bed at like 8:30 in the morning? xD

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Added yet another video! lol

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Sixth video added. Just about done. :p

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Marshal_Blades said:
;o What is this "Jack" for exactly?
Maybe you should read the first post? lol :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)