CraftBlock Recent Server Downtime

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Hey everyone!

I'd like to take this time to apologize for our servers being down pretty much ALL DAMN DAY (February 4th, first ~6 hours of the 5th)!

The website was also affected by the downtime, and I apologize.

Here's what happened...

Linux is a weird beast. MySQL, by default, resides at a path on the hard drive, "/var/lib/mysql". MySQL is what stores all of the data for our forum, and plugins in-game such as LWC, CoreProtect, Towny and CraftConomy.

Where does Linux come into play with the problem? Well, Linux partitions (splits) hard drive space in certain areas of the file system. It just so happens that the place where MySQL was located only had twenty gigabytes for storage space.

We exceeded that.

As a result, the forum and our servers began having problems with reading and writing to the databases... You can't write information if there's no room, right.....??

Well, my area of expertise lies within Minecraft... Not so much Linux or MySQL. However, with a few hours of research, I was able to fix the problem.

All I did was redefine the location at which the MySQL service on the server would look for our databases. It took me a while, because I'm new to troubleshooting and debugging MySQL stuff...

But, long story short, it's fixed. MySQL has all the space it needs, now. Now I just need kawohi to get her butt back on and make sure everything's running alright, as far as backups and cron jobs go.

Again, I apologize for the downtime. Hopefully, it won't ever happen again.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
That's right, we exceeded it! We go above and beyond expectation. Is that so wrong, Linux? Is it?
Linux is just a buzzkill. It thought we were too "small town" to even get the right footing. Ba, humbug!
Bootcamp did this too; I bet they planned this out. I bet they had a lil' meeting one day, the same day Skyrim had no space. Pfft, losers.
Well, I'm glad it's over (as far as we know), and I'm also glad that the forums didn't get wiped again :). Thanks Arty! :3

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Somewhere over the Rainbow
Chapeau! is often used as a generic expression of approval and appreciation in France and other parts of Europe: as a sign of admiration or respect, one shall indeed remove their hat

whiteNnerdy234

Aren't you the guy wth all the commands?
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Canada
No prob Ar7, wasn't your fault. Thanks for getting it back up either way ;)

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Well done, Ar77y! If anyone could fix it, it was you! :D Thank you. I missed the forums and server. I don't know what I'd do without them. Probably crawl into a hole somewhere and shrivel up & die. :p

atomizer

Crafter
Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for full disclosure!
Though, the logic "run out of space because of inadequate partitioning -> fuck linux" is befuddling to say the least. The only "weird beast" here is the one who decided that 20gig partition would be enough for DBs. And no, linux doesnt create partitions by itself.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
aoie said:
Thanks for full disclosure!
Though, the logic "run out of space because of inadequate partitioning -> f*ck linux" is befuddling to say the least. The only "weird beast" here is the one who decided that 20gig partition would be enough for DBs. And no, linux doesnt create partitions by itself.
Like I said, I'm no master with any of it. If you want to point fingers, point them at kawohi, not me. She setup Linux on the server. I only know what she told me, and what she said was basically "when you install Linux it creates partitions for certain parts of the system."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)