PSA: Please don't change the time or weather

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
CraftBlock is a survival and building server. The key part of that specification is "survival". Time and weather are part of survival.

Please don't change the time, and please don't change the weather. If someone's complaining about rain, too bad. If it makes them lag, inform them of Optifine and the ability of Optifine to turn off client-side rain. Rain/snow stops zombies and skeletons burning during the day, and turning it off alters the natural cycle.

Changing the time also alters the natural cycle, which I'd very much like to keep. The time on the main world has only been changed twice (to my knowledge): once by me on accident, after which I change the time back as close to what it was prior. Once again by Valk the other day when I summoned a few giants for cactusking to have fun with. I made him change it back. lol

I understand weather and night time make it difficult to build, at times. Trust me, I get it. I've been playing with a modified SEUS shader for almost a month, now, and night time is nearly impossible to navigate. This is doubly so with weather, because the SEUS shader makes it nice and foggy. :D But I put up with it. If I can, so can everyone else. :)

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
I useally don't change it when there are tons of people on, however I do sometimes when there are very few people on and I'm building myself. Rain and night can get annoying at times when building. I also useally ask the players if they mind the time changing as well.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
I do agree with you that changing time (I can't say about weather though but meh) while players are on is annoying and shouldn't be messed with though, but there can/should be exceptions (like very few players on and asking THEM if its okay)

xInZax

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
I believe I was helping Vella out, and was annoyed with the lack of light ^_^. I will keep that in mind though.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
xInZaxx said:
I believe I was helping Vella out, and was annoyed with the lack of light ^_^. I will keep that in mind though.
Like I said, I understand how low light can be a bother... The client has brightness settings (granted, it might not always do any good), and is it really that hard to place a few Glowstone blocks? lol

I'm just a little picky about the time and the weather... I think it's important to keep a constant, natural cycle. The time and weather affect so much more of the survival experience than "I can't see" or "this rain is too noisy/makes my framerate drop a bit." Light level affects crop growth. Night time brings monsters that otherwise don't spawn. It's important to keep the survival aspect as regulated as possible so as to not ruin the cycle of survival.

I know some don't see it that way, because they're more creative-minded. I understand that. But we have to stay true to both survival and creative. Unfortunately, survival takes more priority. :p But we do have the Architects world, which is entirely creative. I don't care if time and weather is changed there, because no surviving goes on there. Feel free to use /mvtp architects and find somewhere to build. I'm fine with building there, then moving/copying those builds and structures to the main world. :p Just please don't leave floating grass/stone/etc. platforms. xD

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
xInZaxx said:
It's supposed to be hard to see... This is the challenge of the game. You don't just give them the answer on a silver platter; then playing the game is pointless.

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
I hate building in the dark, and I hate the rain and snow. Haha If it were up to me, it would always be daytime, on Peaceful, with no weather or animals. But it isn't. So I will not change these things anymore. If I must, I'll build in the Architect world. :) I understand that the survival aspect should retain it's integrity. But, what if there is nobody online? Is it okay to change the time/weather then? Just curious.

To be honest, I've changed the time and weather more than just that one time. Haha

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
But, what if there is nobody online? Is it okay to change the time/weather then? Just curious.
Preferably, no. Someone could join at any given time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)