Player Marketplace on the Shop Island at Spawn

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Ever since we started working on the new spawn and its islands, I had this grand idea for a player marketplace area that could be expanded and would contain multiple (named!) districts for different types of shops. Each shop would be a prefab shop where players weren't allowed to build or break blocks. The only thing they would control would be their shop signs and the contents of the chests. Shop applications would be deprecated in favor of automatic PStone purchases. That is, let's say I wanted a shop. All I would have to do is go right-click the sign to buy the plot, and it's mine! :D

But... That isn't working out. At all. There are so many catches, and so many flaws. For instance, I can't enforce that kind of control with just PStones... A player buys a PStone field, and it becomes theirs. Everything within the field can be broken, and the player can build whatever they desire within it. This automatically conflicts with the prefab shop idea in order to control the quality of the shop builds.

On top of this, it's really a huge, huge pain in the arse... :/

So since we reset, I've been thinking of an alternative, and I really like it...

You know how we've all been trying to promote Towny a lot more? Towny towns can have Shop Plots. I really, really want to push Shop Plots in Towny Towns more, by forcing shops to be made in Towny Shop Plots.

What are the benefits of this?

Well, here's a list...

• Town mayors would be encouraged to have more shops in their towns, possible increasing interest in their town so players who join it can have easy access to nice shops
  • Town mayors could make entire shopping districts! Without "the man" (staff/owners) controlling how it looks, how its laid out, etc!
  • Towny towns would become more desirable with just this one simple change alone
  • Players who want a shop would benefit greatly from living in a Towny town
  • Players who don't want to live in someone else's town just to have a shop would be encouraged to start their own town, even if just to make it a shop! :D This could lead to things like port towns and depots. :p
  • Dynmap shows Towny towns and Towny Shop plots :D
  • Players would have to travel to individual towns just to see shops
The disadvantages of this change would be...
  • Players wouldn't be able to just go to one singular location for all of their player shopping needs
  • Players would have to travel to individual towns just to see shops (Yes, also a con - depends who you ask)

So state your position on what you think of this change.

For it? Why? Explain.

Against it? Why? Explain.

Pick your poison! :D

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com
Jeez... You're like my English teacher! :p

I agree with the Towny option. There are way more pros than cons, which is a big plus. One question, however: would these Towny shop districts be in the marketplace in spawn world, or in the player world? I'm making a 99%-sure guess that it will be in the player world, so if that's the case, perhaps we can have a way for the players to advertise their town shops? Perhaps, a sub-forum for them to advertise their shop, or maybe a way in-game for them to advertise their shop. Maybe even have a place for shop warps to their towns, if they make a really detailed application.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
JagSwag2014 said:
Jeez... You're like my English teacher! :p

I agree with the Towny option. There are way more pros than cons, which is a big plus. One question, however: would these Towny shop districts be in the marketplace in spawn world, or in the player world? I'm making a 99%-sure guess that it will be in the player world, so if that's the case, perhaps we can have a way for the players to advertise their town shops? Perhaps, a sub-forum for them to advertise their shop, or maybe a way in-game for them to advertise their shop. Maybe even have a place for shop warps to their towns, if they make a really detailed application.
lol no, individual towns will have their own shop plots which players can buy and utilise. :3

Also, larger towns (30+ residents, working number) will have warps at Town Hall and possibly even a /shop menu. As such, players will be encouraged to live in larger towns or to create their own large towns so they can have a warp at Town Hall or the /shop menu. :3

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
I like the idea of the Towny Shops. The Pros all seem to be very workable. But what would we do with the Marketplace Island? We might be able to redesign it for a warp place to the Towny shops? Instead of having the warps for them take up space in the Town Hall.

Maybe make something like Billboards in the current Marketplace, for the different Shops in the Towny Towns. The shop owners could make a request for a shop advertisement sign there. Make an app, choose a short text for their sign(s), giving coords, prices, etc. Then a Staff member could make a sign/billboard for them there on the island. With a warp sign too, or something.

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
Maybe make something like Billboards in the current Marketplace, for the different Shops in the Towny Towns. The shop owners could make a request for a shop advertisement sign there. Make an app, choose a short text for their sign(s), giving coords, prices, etc. Then a Staff member could make a sign/billboard for them there on the island. With a warp sign too, or something.
I was thinking of this, but then thought about how we would do that. We could use signs, but they wouldn't look as good. I would imagine the billboards would have to be a pretty big size to fit necessary information on it, and many of the players don't have a very good render distance, so they may not be able to see it.

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Haha Yeah. I was thinking about using signs to add necessary info onto it. But maybe make larger bilboard signs for the districts. Which we already have. But idk, it's just an idea. We could decide to do something completely different with the island.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
I like the idea of the Towny Shops. The Pros all seem to be very workable. But what would we do with the Marketplace Island? We might be able to redesign it for a warp place to the Towny shops? Instead of having the warps for them take up space in the Town Hall.
Town Hall is for towns, not shops. :p

If we promote shops via Towny towns, we could turn the player marketplace into a port town, sorta like it already is one. We could give certain players build permission in an area so they can build nice looking shops and stuff. :3 I like the idea of it turning into an expanding port town.

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
I don't really like this idea, but I don't have time to spend on the server anyway.

Reasons:
Players don't know how to use basic towny, let alone how to set up shop plots.
Harder to find shops.
People spamming chat asking others to visit their shop because no one can find it.
No one knows how to find and measure chunks, and therefore can't outline shop plots.

Good things:
Previous player market was a pain in the tits. Anything is better than that.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Ah I couldn't reply to this thread when it was made. Finally I can!

Avoxsas said:
I don't really like this idea, but I don't have time to spend on the server anyway.

Reasons:
Players don't know how to use basic towny, let alone how to set up shop plots.
Harder to find shops.
People spamming chat asking others to visit their shop because no one can find it.
No one knows how to find and measure chunks, and therefore can't outline shop plots.

Good things:
Previous player market was a pain in the tits. Anything is better than that.
I have to agree with avox here. The part about "players don't know how to use basic towny" shouldn't be taking lightly. Towny is pretty complicated, specially for the younger players!

However, most will use Towny town, but some will not. We have to take a look at that "some" to. We've always supported both. Towny towns or not, it's a town.

The goal should be: Let anyone pay for a shop, and HOPEFULLY allow them to set it up themselves, like what Chestshop allowed us to do. I think applying for markets would be hell as well.

You're right about that Avoxsas, if you mean't the "mall" that was close to spawn, it was hell. Thank god we got away from that :)

I forgot what was the plan here, we did discuss something about this in Teamspeak. I thought it was BossShop for spawn, and chestshop for players, correct?

I don't like giving rights to just donors, this should be a feature for at-least citizen and up.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
If we're to use the marketplace at spawn, feel free to take care of it yourself. It won't be any better at all than the "mall" we had on the previous world, unless we just let players build whatever they want for their shops and end up with shops built entirely out of iron blocks and dirt and other hideous shops...

The Towny way is less of a hassle for everyone. Set a Towny shop plot. Player buys shop plot. Player sets up shop there. No staff have to get involved. It's all automated. We don't have to worry about the quality of it.

Have fun, I guess, with making WorldGuard regions and PStones work together. :p

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Ar7ific1al said:
If we're to use the marketplace at spawn, feel free to take care of it yourself. It won't be any better at all than the "mall" we had on the previous world, unless we just let players build whatever they want for their shops and end up with shops built entirely out of iron blocks and dirt and other hideous shops...

The Towny way is less of a hassle for everyone. Set a Towny shop plot. Player buys shop plot. Player sets up shop there. No staff have to get involved. It's all automated. We don't have to worry about the quality of it.

Have fun, I guess, with making WorldGuard regions and PStones work together. :p
I'm a bit confused with this, how would a player get a shop after making their plot from towny a shop plot?

What I was saying was players and player shops in their own towns. Not a player marketplace, that was hell lol

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Is there a way to set something up where, say, a player wants to buy a shop in the Player Marketplace. So they come to the forums. Where we have a sticky thread with screenies of all of the different types of shops, with dimensions and details about prices and whatever. Then they choose a plot size that is marked in the Player Marketplace as having the same dimensions as the shop design that they want. They stand in the center, or marked block for copying, and they type in a command for buying the shop design & plot, but have to be standing on the "Hot spot", and it pastes the shop design that they chose in their plot.

That might not be able to work, because it would probably be somewhat difficult (I imagine) to get it so players have to stand in the right spots or else it won't work, or paste the building for them. Each design would probably have to be able to only be placed in certain areas. Like the plots that they fit inside only. Smaller ones could be set in larger plots. You know? I don't know how possible this would be, or if it's even worth the effort. But it was just an idea that I had to throw out there. :D

Edit: I see that you guys are talking about this right now. Haha You way sounds much easier. Players take care of the players and implement and enforce their own rules and laws for these.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Note I'm still trying to figure this all out. Want to make sure players can have fun with markets and expand there towns and do more.

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
I edited my last post. Haha You guys sound like you're talking about the same thing. It sounds much easier. Let the players take care of it themselves.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
I edited my last post. Haha You guys sound like you're talking about the same thing. It sounds much easier. Let the players take care of it themselves.
If that's the case, then hell yeah let's do it. I'm not sure how players will get shops by making a shop plot. 

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
kawohi said:
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
If that's the case, then hell yeah let's do it. I'm not sure how players will get shops by making a shop plot. 
I don't understand what you mean. xD

Town mayors set a plot's type to shop, and put the plot up for sale. A player goes and buys that shop plot, and they can make their shop there. Simple as that. :p

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
Yeah. Let the players do it themselves, and work it out between themselves. :p

Edit: But Kawohi, I think you're confusing the two ideas. Either the original "Player shop" idea, or let them work it out on their own. The getting a shop thing would be just them building it. Haha Are we even going to do anything with those designs? Maybe set up a shop, with screenies, on the forums for people to look at and buy? Like a shop catalog. Haha

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
Yeah. Let the players do it themselves, and work it out between themselves. :p

Edit: But Kawohi, I think you're confusing the two ideas. Either the original "Player shop" idea, or let them work it out on their own. The getting a shop thing would be just them building it. Haha Are we even going to do anything with those designs? Maybe set up a shop, with screenies, on the forums for people to look at and buy? Like a shop catalog. Haha
lol Well, like I said in previous posts on this thread, if we prioritize Towny shop plots, I'd like to turn the marketplace at spawn into a port town. Allow Architects, Designers, and maybe Royal or other donors to build there with permission.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Ar7ific1al said:
kawohi said:
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
... and they can make their shop there. Simple as that. :p
That's my question, how? Does BossShop allow them to create their own shops? You probably already explained this to me back on TS but I probably forgot. 

Smoked  ALOT of weed when I was offline........

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
kawohi said:
Ar7ific1al said:
kawohi said:
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
... and they can make their shop there. Simple as that. :p
That's my question, how? Does BossShop allow them to create their own shops? You probably already explained this to me back on TS but I probably forgot. 

Smoked  ALOT of weed when I was offline........
*Facepalm* Then maybe you should stop smoking marijuana, if it's affecting your memory that much. In fact, I suggest that you give it a rest. You've got a server to run... :I

BossShop is not for player shops. BossShop does not support player shops.

Player shops will be made with SignShop. I'm not explaining it all again, go find the Bukkit plugin page. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)