/me being used to circumvent /mute

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
http://craftblock.me/forum/thread-2740-post-18366.html#pid18366
I recently banned/tempbanned a pair of fine individuals who had decided to troll the server. One thing I noticed in particular was that when I had muted them, they used /me in order to circumvent the /mute command.
/me has no spam filter.
I've talked with Kawohi, and she wants to keep the command. I, on the other hand, want it removed.
But that's not the only thing important. What do you guys think?

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
Sorry, but if this was a bigger problem, like if had 50% of our player base misusing the command, this could happen but that's not the case.

I think you could've handled that problem better, Rasta should've been banned after the second screenshot. You should've warned the other player for misusing the functionality.
I'm on almost everyday and I always see players using it. Always. It's a fun, basic command. No reason to remove it because of a few bad apples.

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com
It's just another feature left out by the Essentials team. They left out a few features that would make a lot more sense if they were included in the plugin, yet they didn't do so; one of those things restricting access to /me while muted. A simple temp-ban for bypassing a mute should be fine.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
When it comes to spam/harassment, I tend to wait on a ban. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, with the exception of griefs. So I didn't ban the person by the second screenshot. I muted him, made sure he wasn't griefing, and only banned him after the circumvention.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
JagSwag2014 said:
It's just another feature left out by the Essentials team. They left out a few features that would make a lot more sense if they were included in the plugin, yet they didn't do so; one of those things restricting access to /me while muted. A simple temp-ban for bypassing a mute should be fine.
I'm pretty sure it's being bypassed because we're using mchat's /me instead of essentials.

Or it's the complete opposite. 

JagSwag2014

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
USA
www.planetminecraft.com
kawohi said:
JagSwag2014 said:
I'm pretty sure it's being bypassed because we're using mchat's /me instead of essentials.

Or it's the complete opposite. 
It's bypassed even if they used Essentials's /me.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
Hmm yeah I agree with Kawohi on handling the situation . Many do enjoy sing /me, I don't think it's necessary to remove it because some choose to evade their mute.

When I first came across a situation like that, I thought hmm that cheeky monkey, but I thought hmm no, there's a reason why I muted the guy, and if the mute wasn't stopping them, I'd ban them. Lol never thought to add a time on my mutes so the player would stay muted till, Avox reminded us we should add a time on the end of the mute, an I've done so, I think, ever since.

I see he used whisper as well.

Before rasta got to the point he was at.. Before.. You had warned him to stop? Anyways he should not disrespect staff. Sad though, never had him act up like that before. He's usually a good player.

If I can see it coming, I'd warn them to just.. Stop.
Sometimes that's enough, but should they continue, I'd mute with an added time I felt they might need to get the message, then reinforce my warning more. Should they argue with me during their mute time using /me, I'd just ban them. They'd had enough warnings as far as I was concerned.
Strike 1- The warning in the chat
Strike 2- the mute and warning
Strike 3- BOOM!

Do we have a spam bot?

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Nope, it's because of MChat's /me command. Essentials prevents its own /me when muting. MChat also does not block its own /me when the MChat mute is used. I tested on my local server.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
Aww sorry I'm dumb I don't understand any of that, but I think I understood you said no to me asking bout a spam bot. :D

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Submitted a ticket on their bug tracker.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
I can see how you won't remove it because of a few people, that's understandable. I believe, though, that it's a pretty useless command anyway, lol.
3rd person is pretty dumb all around, and I don't see how a person can't just say everything in regular first person. I also think of it as bait; what if someone were being a butt in chat, and then there's only one way to annoy people left: to start using /me excessively and get themselves banned. I'm not really talking about mute bypasses as much, but that's to be taken into consideration.
I'm just saying that it should be removed because it's pretty stupid, lol. 3 bans with people bypassing it wouldn't change my mind either way; it just sparked the conversation.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
Yes well there are many dumb stupid commands minecraft has /suicide for one, but reagardless of those so called useless commands, we even used to have/ fp or /fd used to express ones emotions or actions, and i guess /me can be used to a simular degree. I myself dont use it much at all, but some do find it entertaining, while others dont appreciate it in the same light as them and should it start to annoy people- well they always have the option to ask them to stop. Although its a little thing, I see its used as a more postive contribution to the server then negative.

Nayxerr

mths? I'm Nayxerr now!
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
I don't mind people using that command. But I know some people used to have conversations when using /me. That's to much.

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
mths said:
I don't mind people using that command. But I know some people used to have conversations when using /me. That's to much.
If /me isn't describing an action, it's misusing the functionality. 

At most I think we should add this to the rules. /me is used to describe an action, don't use it for conversations, or use it to by pass /mute.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
@_SunDust_, with the label on the ban it's not like he was planning on an appeal anyways. I gave him plenty of chances, and he didn't take any of them. 
Is it such a difficult idea to remove /me until /mute can override? Or is there any way to limit the use of the command, or why not make it unavailable to Builders? 

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
I feel like I was completely ignored. I posted a bloody ticket on MChat's tracker. I've received a response, and it's fixed in their most recent dev builds. All we need to do is install the most recent builds of MChat and MSocial.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
I'm sorry Ar7, I missed that post entirely. Thank you for finding a solution to the problem. It was so infuriating that /mute was a dead weight, but I have no animosity against the /me command, and if we use the Essentials version to preserve the command, it would solve both sides of the problem.
Once again, I'm sorry I dodged that entirely! I guess I'm blind :p

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@crackers1097
Don't worry about it, you weren't the only one. xD And it's not the first time, either. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)