Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
  • Holy_Rabbitz

Holy_Rabbitz

It's 4 more days until Christmas!

If you celebrate Christmas, What are the things you want most?

I want new headphones and a Kirby plush which I got from TicTacTory ^^

Say your most wanted item and why you want it!

Merry Christmas!

~Holy:nyan

U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
  • U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Merry Christmas! :D

I and my family celebrate Christmas. Even though we're all atheists. Like my Mom, Brother, Sister, & their kids. But we celebrate because we use to be Christian, but now it's just because we like to do it to get together and spend time with one another. :) But, to be fair, Xmas was originally a Pagan holiday anyway. More on that in a minute. :D
I told my Mom that I wanted socks & underwear. Because they're much more useful than anything else I could get. But I usually buy the things that I want for myself, like video games, movies, etc. Because I have very specific, and some may argue, picky requests. Haha But mostly, my family & I just gather and eat, drink, & be merry. Gift giving isn't a huge part of our holiday gathering. But it isn't frowned upon. :D
I buy a lot of movies. So for my gifts for people, I usually copy and burn DVDs for my friends and family for holidays. I give them a shit-ton of free movies. Because I believe that entertainment should be cheap, if not free, as well as kindness. But I usually give my friends and family free movies all the time anyway. They just get more around the holidays. lol
I also, just gave my little brother one of my XBOX360's and went with him to GameStop to buy himself the new GTA. His first 360 purchase.... :,( I'm so proud. :p

Now.. As for the origins of Christmas... I have researched this subject for many years. This is what I have found. Cliff Notes version.

-In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25.

-In Rome, the they celebrated their Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. Long before anyone even heard of Jesus.

-The pagans of Northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

-Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means "wheel," the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun.

-Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

-All over ancient Northern Europe, celebrating their winter solstices, live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshiping huge trees.

-In 350 CE., Pope Julius I declared that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time, and were Polytheists) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

-Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 CE. in the Alsace region of Germany.

I love learning about things & sharing the knowledge freely. That's my gift to you. ;)

U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
  • U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Holy_Rabbitz said:
Wow. I never knew that. Thanks Valk :D
No problem, Holy. :D But technically, you still don't know it. Haha I just told you that. Don't take my word for it. Go find out for yourself. It's really interesting stuff. :)

Terminator_T800

Terminator_T800

Hitman
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Germany
  • Terminator_T800

Terminator_T800

I'm get nothing cus I never did and never will cus I have parents who don't want me to celebrate with the Santa and Christmas tree stuff. Life's tough.

Ww_Crow_wW

Ww_Crow_wW

Tired ™
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
???
  • Ww_Crow_wW

Ww_Crow_wW

im an atheist as well (but only my dads family is and their mixed LDS and atheist) and we treat christmas as more a celebration of us not killing each other for another year, we pretend not to hate each other for 3 days, give each other presents, then we all go back to hissing at each other. yeah my familys fucked up XD
pretty much all i want for chistmas is a new headset, a gamestop giftcard, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, nibs, NIBSSSSSSSSSSSS,and maybe a rise against album or two >W<

O

Omega_Shenron

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Windstad Manor, Skyrim, Tamriel
  • O

Omega_Shenron

Ahh..Christmas. A time when my step-dad pretends to not hate me ._. But, I asked for the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Keyboard and the Ourobourous Razer gaming mouse. (*cough Ourobourous tatto FMA reference cough*)

Ww_Crow_wW

Ww_Crow_wW

Tired ™
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
???
  • Ww_Crow_wW

Ww_Crow_wW

Omega_Shenron said:
Ahh..Christmas. A time when my step-dad pretends to not hate me ._. But, I asked for the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Keyboard and the Ourobourous Razer gaming mouse. (*cough Ourobourous tatto FMA reference cough*)
*Hugs* holy shit gimme dat mouseeeeee
totally not like i was ed for halloween 3 times

M

Matx490

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Some where over the rainbow
  • M

Matx490

All i want is a computer. One that opens a browser and runs minecraft at more than 20 fps

Angeleem

Angeleem

Tay is bae 。◕ ‿ ◕。
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Under Jag's bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
http
  • Angeleem

Angeleem

Doctor Who merch all the way. Like seriously, I want so much Doctor Who stuff, things will go down...

Holy_Rabbitz

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
  • Holy_Rabbitz

Holy_Rabbitz

Angeleem said:
Doctor Who merch all the way. Like seriously, I want so much Doctor Who stuff, things will go down...
Do they make Funko Pop Doctor Who merch? 'cuz that would be cool to have.

Angeleem

Angeleem

Tay is bae 。◕ ‿ ◕。
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Under Jag's bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
http
  • Angeleem

Angeleem

Holy_Rabbitz said:
Angeleem said:
Do they make Funko Pop Doctor Who merch? 'cuz that would be cool to have.
Um o_O........I'm not sure...

U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
  • U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

I was at a nerd shop recently with a friend, because we go every so often because we're nerds too :p, and I almost bought a Sonic Screwdriver. It was there, but not cheap. So I didn't end up getting it. But one day it will me mine.... Oh yes... One day... It will.. be... mine. O_O

T

THGlikeaboss

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Texas
  • T

THGlikeaboss

only thing i look forward to is presents and spending time with the family at dinner somewhere, and my parents go all out and drops alot of money on us :D but since i have 3 other siblings we dont get much, mostly we all get one or two big items and some other things like clothes, games, etc..

one thing i want most is money, some games, and thats really about it, i want money for games on steam, and well if you asked me what i wanted about a month ago i could have had a super long list, but for some reason on december month my mind goes blank, who else is like this?

Holy_Rabbitz

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
  • Holy_Rabbitz

Holy_Rabbitz

THGlikeaboss said:
only thing i look forward to is presents and spending time with the family at dinner somewhere, and my parents go all out and drops alot of money on us :D but since i have 3 other siblings we dont get much, mostly we all get one or two big items and some other things like clothes, games, etc..

one thing i want most is money, some games, and thats really about it, i want money for games on steam, and well if you asked me what i wanted about a month ago i could have had a super long list, but for some reason on december month my mind goes blank, who else is like this?
Sorta. I could remember some, I had eight things on my list.

Chiplover2

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
  • Chiplover2

Chiplover2

Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
Merry Christmas! :D

I and my family celebrate Christmas. Even though we're all atheists. Like my Mom, Brother, Sister, & their kids. But we celebrate because we use to be Christian, but now it's just because we like to do it to get together and spend time with one another. :) But, to be fair, Xmas was originally a Pagan holiday anyway. More on that in a minute. :D
I told my Mom that I wanted socks & underwear. Because they're much more useful than anything else I could get. But I usually buy the things that I want for myself, like video games, movies, etc. Because I have very specific, and some may argue, picky requests. Haha But mostly, my family & I just gather and eat, drink, & be merry. Gift giving isn't a huge part of our holiday gathering. But it isn't frowned upon. :D
I buy a lot of movies. So for my gifts for people, I usually copy and burn DVDs for my friends and family for holidays. I give them a shit-ton of free movies. Because I believe that entertainment should be cheap, if not free, as well as kindness. But I usually give my friends and family free movies all the time anyway. They just get more around the holidays. lol
I also, just gave my little brother one of my XBOX360's and went with him to GameStop to buy himself the new GTA. His first 360 purchase.... :,( I'm so proud. :p

Now.. As for the origins of Christmas... I have researched this subject for many years. This is what I have found. Cliff Notes version.

-In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25.

-In Rome, the they celebrated their Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. Long before anyone even heard of Jesus.

-The pagans of Northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

-Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means "wheel," the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun.

-Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

-All over ancient Northern Europe, celebrating their winter solstices, live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshiping huge trees.

-In 350 CE., Pope Julius I declared that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time, and were Polytheists) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

-Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 CE. in the Alsace region of Germany.

I love learning about things & sharing the knowledge freely. That's my gift to you. ;)
Cool, great info for one post! I don't think that you have to have any sort of religion to celebrate Christmas. In my family, we just open up gifts from each other. There's a certain kind of magic that comes with Christmas, and that's what I feed off of during the holidays :).

U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
  • U

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Chiplover2 said:
Uu_VALKYRE_uU said:
...Words...
Cool, great info for one post! I don't think that you have to have any sort of religion to celebrate Christmas. In my family, we just open up gifts from each other. There's a certain kind of magic that comes with Christmas, and that's what I feed off of during the holidays :).
Thanks. :) Yeah, you don't have to believe in any certain deity to celebrate anything if you want to. Fun, Friendship, Family, & other Merry Gatherings don't require much to have fun. At least, it is suppose to be easy. If it's not easy, you're doing it wrong. Haha We all make the magic happen by enjoying each others company and laughing and just having fun. If you see someone not having fun, they're really trying hard to not have fun. :p

But, Merry Xmas to everyone. I had a fun one. I hope you all did as well. :)