I Will Not Let An Exam Result Decide My Fate

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D-eVF_G_p-Y[/video]​

[font=arial, sans-serif]I Will Not Let An Exam Result Decide My Fate - Suli Breaks,Vanity Fair,2009[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]"I Will Not Let An Exam Result Decide My Fate" picks up on the education topic but takes a different stance and angle from "Why I Hate School But Love Education". This poem talks about how we have been made to think about how education and getting university degrees can give us opportunities to have a better chance in making our dream careers a reality. It also touches on how as individuals we are judged and tested by how well we perform on exams, but not all people perform well in exams so why are they made out to feel like they're dumb? The inconsistencies of the education system are really peeled open to reveal a deep problem that needs to be addressed and how society's needs have changed to make this even more apparent.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]When it boils down to it, why are we misled into thinking that education is the only way forward for successful means in our work and career lives? We need to open our minds and educate ourselves that exam results aren't the barometer of success and that we can't let them decide our fate. We are in charge of our own destinies![/font]​

[font=arial, sans-serif]What do you think?[/font]

Ex-User (67)

Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
How the hell does modern languages and ancient Greek, Latin help me get my goal of a good job.

The only way I can think that it will help me is with the ESA...

Angeleem

Tay is bae 。◕ ‿ ◕。
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Under Jag's bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
http
I don't mind learning, it's just being forced to learn subjects like Geometry and other classes that we really don't need for life. What really gets me thinking is that we are tested based on our own understanding of what the teacher taught us. We are tested on how well that they presented a subject and absorbed it. What if the teacher isn't a very good teacher? Will we learn that subject well? No. And mostly everyone's tests grades will be low. And, there is also that feeling of failure. All of our lives through grade school our work is glorified and pinned on the fridge. Once we get into the higher level grades, and fail or do bad on one thing, we are pushed to feel like we are stupid and cannot succeed. I had a friend who once got a B on her quiz or something like that and cried because her parents gave her high standards that she couldn't reach, and knew she was going to be grounded, due to one grade. I hate that kids have to be forced to go to school and learn some of the most pointless subjects for the first 18 years of their life when our brains are more or less first developing when really we could be learning about things that we know will help us in our future, like a mechanics class where we have to fix cars, or a class that we know if going to be helpful for our lives if we want to go to college and become something great. We can't pursue our dreams while we are sitting all day in school for 7 hours a day learning about 1/2abSinC or how to say 'to score a goal' in Spanish.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
"Because that same society outcries abortion, but looks town on teen parents." I never really thought of it that way. I guess sometimes when you take the time to look at something from the outside it really is counter intuitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)