How to copy builds with world edit

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Step 1: Read the player's application.

Step 2: Use /mv tp world to teleport to the old map.

Step 3: Use /tppos x y z to teleport to the build's location.

Step 4: Check the build. Remove all chests and clear the items. Replace any iron/gold/diamond/emerald blocks, beacons etc. with placeholder blocks. Usually wool of a matching colour (e.g. diamond blocks -> blue wool).

Step 5: Using a wooden wand or other method, select the build.
At the moment, WorldEdit allows you to select cuboids (think cubes) by choosing two points at two corners of the cuboid. The diagram below indicates how two points can form a cuboid. The cuboids you select can only be aligned to the world (they cannot be rotated at an angle).
[img=412x152]http://wiki.sk89q.com/w/content/d/dc/Cuboid.png[/img]
There are several different ways of choosing these two points and you can mix and match.
Selecting with the wand
  • Code:
    //wand
The most intuitive way to select a region is by using wand. To get the wand, use 

Code:
//wand

(it is, by default, a wooden axe). Left clicking a block with the wand marks that block as the first corner of the cuboid you wish to select. A right-click chooses the second corner.

Selecting at your own location
  • Code:
    //pos1
  • Code:
    //pos2
These commands set the first and second corners to the block above the one that you are standing on. Generally the wand suffices for most tasks and you likely will not need to use this.
Selecting with your crosshair
  • Code:
    //hpos1
  • Code:
    //hpos2
These commands set the first and second corners to the block that you are looking at. This allows you to select points from far away and make particularly large cuboid regions with ease.

Step 6: When the entire build is selected, use //size. Then use //count air. How much of the selection is not air? If it is >1000, post on the player's application and an Owner will take a look. Do not copy the build yourself if this is the case.

Step 7: If the build isn't too large, stand in a memorable location (e.g. a doorway) and use //copy. Make a note of the direction you are facing when you copy the build.
Builds will be copied relative to your location. That means that if you copy a build while standing in a doorway, the build will be pasted in exactly the same position relative to where you are standing, but it will be facing the same direction as the original build. If necessary, experiment by copying and pasting a few small abstract shapes until you get the concept.

Step 8: Go back to the normal world

Step 9: Use /tppos x y z to teleport to the location on the new map; go there from the nearest town, warp, etc.; or teleport to a player near the location.

Step 10: Stand in a suitably spacious area.

Step 11: Use //paste -a to paste the build to your location without air (that's what the -a parameter means). If the player has specified a direction they wish the build to face, you must first rotate the build to suit using //rotate 90|180|270. The rotate command rotates clockwise only. If you can't get the hang of this, just leave the app open and someone else will do it.
I have copied a build which has a doorway facing East. The player wants this doorway to face North. I must rotate the build 270 degrees. Rotating 90 degrees will place the door facing south. 180 degrees will place the door facing west. 270 will place the door facing north, as requested by the player.

Step 12: When the build has been successfully copied, close the application thread with a suitable message.

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@Lking846 @_SunDust_ @Crackers1097 @Ryno314 @SexyKitty123

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
When we're replacing any iron/gold/diamond/emerald blocks, beacons etc. with placeholder blocks. is there another command to replace one block with another block is this the command? Im not sure, but my son used to be able to do that
/replacenear <size> <from-id> <to-id> Im not sureof the command it was years ago, but im wondering it that would be helpful. Well maybe if they had alot of precious blocks. Not needed I suppose if it were a couple. It doesnt look right, i got it off world edit refernce on the net.

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
//replacenear [radius] [block-to-change-id] [new-block-id]

Or select the build, then do //replace [block-to-change-id] [new-block-id]

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
cool - time is nearing :) for the great exodus lol Could you add the link to the application page by step 1, when its up?

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Done.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I havent checked but- the old map - no one can build on it or remove?

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@Avoxsas @_SunDust_ I do not recommend using //replacenear, use //replace block,block2,block3,etc newblock instead after selecting the build.

@LKing846 SuperMod can now use //count.

@_SunDust_ Nobody can place, break, or access chests in the old world.

Ww_Crow_wW

Tired ™
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
???
hey am i allowed to move my own builds since i'm royal on main or do i need to get the help of a mod? i'm assuming its ok, but i'm double checking just in case ^^

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
MonochromePony said:
hey am i allowed to move my own builds since i'm royal on main or do i need to get the help of a mod? i'm assuming its ok, but i'm double checking just in case ^^
No, you are not. It is for the mods/admins/owners to decide what's worth the time and resources. We don't want everybody and their brother going willy-nilly copying over everything they want.

Ww_Crow_wW

Tired ™
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
???
Okie @Ar7ific1al thanks for telling me ^^

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I remember Kawohi gave some guidelines to what would be counted as worthy to move over
All I remember was if it took a day or two to make then it probably wouldn't be considered, does that still stand?

Ok so our guide when checking to see if its worthy:
- something they spent time on. Dirt huts/wooden shacks etc. will not be moved.
- possibly not if underground? Or inside a mountain?
- not if block count is more then 1000

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
_SunDust_ said:
I remember Kawohi gave some guidelines to what would be counted as worthy to move over
All I remember was if it took a day or two to make then it probably wouldn't be considered, does that still stand?

Ok so our guide when checking to see if its worthy:
- something they spent time on. Dirt huts/wooden shacks etc. will not be moved.
- possibly not if underground? Or inside a mountain?
- not if block count is more then 1000
That's correct, that standard still... uhh... stands. lol If it only took a day or two, no-go. If it took weeks, maybe - depends on the quality of the build, size, etc.

Other than that, the rest is correct. Is it in a mountain? Most likely it won't be transferred. Is it in/on the water? Most likely won't be transferred. Newbie huts? Hell no! lol

uhhlking

issa lking
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
America
@Chiplover2 SuperMod are copying over as we have WorldEdit. Not mods. :p

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I am finding some players are not specific in what they are asking to be moved over. One gave coords to pixel art but said save my home. I didn't think pixel art was a home, although there was a house some 100 or so blocks away and below. If their title described there build would be helpful or maybe in the template we could add
Description of the build:
?

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
So I was telling a player he needed to make an app to move his build over. I told him where to go, bottom of the forums. He did that, but something in his build requirements told me he missed understanding something about underground. So I visited the forum area for moving builds and couldnt find the infor I felt he needed to read. I found it in the latest news area. So im wondering do you think it would be a good idea to add a link to that page or move that post to that area? I think it would be helpful to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)