Hard Decision

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Hey guys, 

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding something, this is in real life. 

So here is what is going on;

I have been offered a job on my uncle's farm, back in New Zealand, earning 40K a year (3000+ a Month) This means I would have to move from Australia to New Zealand by myself. I will live on a farm/town next door to my uncle, in my own house, but.. it has its advantages and disadvantages.. 

Advantages;

• House to myself
  • Free power and water
  • Get a break from school
  • I will have a gaming office :D Fark Yes!
  • $3000 a month (only get $600 a month atm)
Disadvantages;

• I have to pay for WiFi
  • Cook for myself
  • Wash my clothes
  • Supply myself with everyday Stuff (Food/Cleaning Stuff)
  • I have to get up early to milk cows, feed cows and lots of work.
  • I won't be around my family
  • I wouldn't have many friends (But I might have Craftblock)
All opinions help, they really help.
Thanks guys.. 

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
dobbythegoomba said:
How far in school are you?
I'm currently in year 11, next year would be my last year of school.

Also, I'm 16.

SpindlyBaton98

A Sans-Sational Experience.
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
United Kingdom
xboxdvr.com
Sam, i would strongly agree with the decision to move near your uncle. If your willing to do hard labour on a farm for alot of money to live for yourself and take care of yourself, the 30/40k a year is highly worth it. If i was given this offer, i would most definitely take it. Again, its up to you, but i strongly consider taking his offer.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
I would recommend going to the farm. It'll be a great opportunity to try a taste of "the real world", and paying for all that stuff shouldn't be that much of a problem with your new income. You're almost done with school anyway, so I don't think it'd hurt too much to move away before graduation. Yes, family is important, I understand, but I think the homesick-ness will go away after a few weeks. You should still plan visits to see your family doe ;). The gaming office sounds pretty killer too, lol.

My greatest concern for you is finishing your education, but even that isn't that bad if you're going to go into agriculture for a living (if you were planning on it). I dream of the day I get to make a living for myself, not because I hate my parents or anything, lol, but for the experience. Life is short, and I want to utilize all of the opportunities that I can.

Omega_Shenron

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Windstad Manor, Skyrim, Tamriel
Now don't take my word 100% but I think going to work on the farm is a good idea. $3000 a month is very good and, well, you're eventually going to have to move away from your family, but this time you can move to your uncle. But, remember, if you stay where you are you can stay with your family and friends you have. It's all up to you. But, I would wait until you graduate from where you are.

whiteNnerdy234

Aren't you the guy wth all the commands?
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Canada
If you think you can handle it, go for it. Let me warn you right now though, farmwork is BRUTAL, you will be worked to the limit, you'll have to get up early, and you'll likely be stuck with all the dirty work :p You may be away from your family, but planning regular visits will more than cover that. 40k a year? I'm lucky if I get $40 a year, I would definitely take it :)

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Thanks for all the words, guys. I appreciate it, I have been thinking about it all night, and I still don't know what's right.
The thing that bothers me the most, is not being able to go home to see my family there and not being able to walk 5 minutes down the road to see some friends.

I have experience farming before, I use to live on a farm when I was like 4. My parents are sending me over alone in my school June/July holidays. Just to see what I would be getting myself into, and see what I would have to do. I have been told that the thing I would be doing most is milking cows, not by hand, but the machine that sucks all the milk out, lol.

And, yes Chip, it would be amazing to have a office where I can game and chill out. If I do move, I know I will be spending most of my time in there talking to friends and family, including my Craftblock/Minecraft family and friends. A lot of people have helped me out on Craftblock, and I don't think I could live without them. When I need someone to talk to, there are a lot of people here to help me and provide me with a path to success.

One of the people that have really been there for me is @Uu_VALKYRE_UU I chat to him every now and then on facebook. He doesn't always use his Facebook, but he does reply with knowledge and wisdom, when he can.

I really think I'm going to take this Job Offer, and move myself into the adult world. Where I can experience living alone, and fending for myself.

Once again, thanks for the words of wisdom, and sorry for any typos.. (Its 12am, must sleep)

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
Yes. I suggest, as Omega said, to wait until you graduate from where you are. Is it possible you could move to New Zealand after finishing your last year?

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Holy_Rabbitz said:
Yes. I suggest, as Omega said, to wait until you graduate from where you are. Is it possible you could move to New Zealand after finishing your last year?
It could, but then again, it might be gone. A lot can happen in 2 years.. 

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
SamDaManNz100 said:
Holy_Rabbitz said:
It could, but then again, it might be gone. A lot can happen in 2 years.. 
Ah. Ok. Then I suggest, if you ever have time in NZ, get in an online educational program so you still can learn what you'd be learning as a Senior. 

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Indeed, I would still be looking at getting a bit of education whilst working full time. I don't want to go back to school knowing jack all.

Parents are just working out legal stuff, make sure I'm allowed to and crap.

Ex-User (67)

Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Sooner or later your going to have to learn those things anyway, why not now, get some of those cow tirrehs.

Deadacc

Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
The farm sounds like a wonderful idea! It's a good idea! You'll be earning money for yourself, setting up you're own gaming office, and all that stuff! I know I'm going to stay in school and graduate, get a masters, find a job as an actor (I've taken acting classes before and know what to do), then I'm set for life. I've got years of backup plans if that fails. But the farm is a hard job, if you think you can do it, go visit Australia every now and then, you're life is set! You gotta pay taxes though, because if you have to, good luck and get ready for them.

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
One reason I'm gonna look at taking this job is, well, I have no idea what I want to do after school and I just hate school. I rather earn money, than sit in a class all day learning stuff I'm not going to use in the future.

40K a year is a really good start for me, since I'm living alone, I will experience the adult world.

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
One little advice I can give you is to see whatever you decide to do as an investment in your own future. May that be in monetary means and/or experience/knowledge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun and enjoy your childhood, but try to keep advancing while you enjoy your life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to be excellent - while having fun.
Feels like I have read that somewhere...

Uu_VALKYRE_uU

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan, USA
@IshrkI, Haha Nice. :p It's true though. Everything Shrk said, and what @Kazza197 said as well. But it really depends on what you figure out what you want to do for you. It's your life. Nobody else can tell you what to do with it. Some will try, but ultimately, they're your choices. You will be needing you move on, grow, learn, and experience all of these things eventually. But don't try to rush things. Still have fun and be happy, while learning new things, making a good living, and learning how to become sufficient.

Each person will choose differently, depending on their wants/needs. Personally, I would take it in a heartbeat in my current situation. Free housing and utilities? All that I have to pay for is my internet, phone, food, drink, toiletries, & whatever else I want? SOLD! Haha But, then again, I've been done with school for 13 years. Haha I finished and turned down a lot of great jobs because I wouldn't give up on school. I could be in a few different places right now. L.A., Still working for ICP, and some other great sales jobs making a lot of money. But I really wanted to have a diploma. Haha I could be pretty well off right now. But I'm happy with my choices and regret nothing.

Remember: Some people are so poor, all they have is money. ;) -Bumper Sticker I saw once. :p

But, you really may need to know some of those things that you're learning in school someday. Education is important. But the most important kind of education is self education. The drive and want to learn new things. To discover & observe the universe around you. And learn everything that you can about it. Asking all of the question you can muster. If you're not getting any answers that make sense, you're most likely asking the wrong question. (ie: Instead of "Who?" ask "Why?". :D)

If you can wait and finish out school, do it. But there are ways of getting a diploma-like-document in a short amount of time instead of getting a diploma. At least, here in the US. But, this is The Age of Reason & The Age of Information. Today, ignorance is a choice. Haha But, do you want to farm forever? Or at least see if you can handle it and decide to do it for a while until you get a good education in your spare time. You have lots of options. Not just the 2. "Go or Not go?" Your family will miss you, like you'll miss them. But only death is forever. And energy. So put your energy into happiness instead of fear. ;)

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Thanks for all the responses and opinions, I go over mid year to try it out. So it depends what happens then.

BestOfTheWorst

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Earth
The only real problem would probably be that you will need alot alot alot of self discipline. Washing your own cloths(altho u can get a washing machine), cooking for yourself and the important one: doing farm stuff. If you dont wake up on time to do some farmers stuff it could screw up your harvesr pretty badly. Also have you thougt about what happens if you fall sick, get injured, etc? There are many many factors involving this choice. Think very very carefully. Also remember that since you will be a farmer, you wont be able to spend the whole day at your gaming office. So it might not be that great afterall. 
(Correct me if im wrong)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)