Facebook buys Oculus Rift.

Priceys

Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Today, March 26/25th Facebook has aquired the Oculus Rift for $2 Billion.... no not in money... but STOCKS. STOCKS. Honestly, who does not think those stocks will decrease in value 5 years from now *cough* MySpace? *cough*

This buy-out is one of the worst i can think of. If you do not know what the Oculus Rift is you are basically living under a rock. It is basically a VR headset designed for virtual reality gaming. But that all seems un-likely now.

Facebook. Really? Oculus Rift generated over $2 million on Kickstarter and then $80 Million from Donations to get this project started. The released Dev kits and were generally a very promising company.

I have played with an Oculus Rift and it is awesome. The things that will be possible... but not Minecraft apparently now. 
@notch
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [size=small] 2h[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus. I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out.[/font]
There is a mod that does emulate Minecraft on Oculus but it just will not be the same.
This is the BIGGEST blow for the gaming industry. Oculus could have been awesome... still might be, but honestly do we want to play Farmville on Oculus Rift?
Now for some entertaining images created by the outrage of the community.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
No one knows just how much I hate Facebook (but maybe @JagSwag2014 can get an idea after hearing my many rants about many things, lol). Well, I hate it. A lot.

I'm a pretty chill person most of the time, but right now I'm thoroughly pissed.

Engadget isn't going to be able to get me off their asses for the next 3 months, I can assure you. I'm going to be the reporter of every single post until they give it back.

Good Lord, I'm pissed :L.

Priceys

Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Chiplover2 said:
No one knows just how much I hate Facebook (but maybe @JagSwag2014 can get an idea after hearing my many rants about many things, lol). Well, I hate it. A lot.

I'm a pretty chill person most of the time, but right now I'm thoroughly pissed.

Engadget isn't going to be able to get me off their asses for the next 3 months, I can assure you. I'm going to be the reporter of every single post until they give it back.

Good Lord, I'm pissed :L.
It is just so unfair to all the backers in the Kickstarter.. they paid all that money to support an up and coming business just to get the company to sellout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)