1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out this week's build competition!
    http://craftblock.me/this-weeks-theme
    Dismiss Notice

CraftBlock CraftBlock Discussion #1 - Updates, Plans, Goals.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by misskoa, Oct 30, 2015.

1. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Latest News & Announcements seems like such a dead forum nowadays, even though we always have a lot going on. I'd like to start a once of a month thing where I take the time, relax, and write up some updates for everything and talk/discuss with you guys.

How will this work? My post will be a discussion of things, you guys can respond with questions, suggestions, issues, etc. It's really a post for you guys to talk to me, and the staff about anything. So let's get started.
    First and foremost, I'm hoping everyone is having a great Halloween and a good fall, and school is working out for you.

In this post I'd like to lay out some goals I want to push for CraftBlock, what we're doing now and in the future. Some of these plans won't happen till new years, or could happen at any time. This is what we're working on to build CraftBlock into a better, amazing server and community.

Feel free to suggest or discuss any of these topics!

Maps
    Spawn: Forge is currently working on a new spawn for us. Hopefully bringing better clarity and organization into how we set up our warps, shops, and other important server features.

The current spawn has withered into being something that's been negative for us, especially when it comes to new players joining, The newbie spawn has just too much to read and as I have surveyed a lot of the new players throughout the year, a lot of them hated how long it took to get started. Our goal is to get new players from newbie spawn to the wild/in a town in the matter of 5 minutes or less. Hopefully we can meet that goal.

For the spawn itself, it's becoming a beautiful masterpiece. I can't wait to show you guys when we're done.

Survival/Wild Map: For the first time ever, we're not going to reset the map this year. We usually reset at new years, but we decided that it'll be less work for us, and less annoyance to the players if we just keep it. So don't worry if you will lose your stuff again. However, there will still be changes, so keep reading!

Ranks: We really want to do away with our 4 year old rank system, that was copied over before the server before CB, died. The current system isn't bad but it' doesn't promote what we really want the server to be about. A rank structure that promotes being in the wild, survival, PvE, and building would be a nice system to have. Our current system relies on you being active, and that's all. That's great and all, but we can do better.

Plugins: A lot will be changing plugin wise. A lot will be resetting. You'll keep your towns, but PStones, the Economy, and other data will be resetting. We want to make a simpler system for you guys to enjoy.

A long with that, we're going to introduce new plugins that I think you guys will enjoy. I'm excited for that.

Servers
    We now have implemented a new system for our servers called Bungee. This is a proxy server that bridges the gaps between two or more Minecraft servers. This means you can access one server from another using a command or a portal, and also have cross server chat.

For our future servers, you'll be able to access them via a command or a portal after connecting to CraftBlock.

Our Vanilla server, ChocoBlock is actually the first server connected to Bungee. If you're whitelisted, you can access it by doing /server chocoblock

Unfortunately, connected to Bungee means servers won't have their dedicated IPs anymore. You'll have to connect to CB then to our other servers. Just one extra step!

Mini-games/Survival Games
    : SG and more future mini-games will be installed as servers connected to bungee. This gives the mini-games more control, and less resources use for CraftBlock. For example, we can allow breaking blocks in SG and less hacks (or accidentally being in god mode), and allows us to add a ton more games to the community.

Future Official Servers: Some of you may have noticed Nicole had a surprise for everyone but unfortunately she lost time to set that surprise up. The surprise was a new Minecraft server. Hopefully we'll have this server up soon as it's highly popular game-type we want to bring to the community.

NanoBlock: Rebooting Nano is so far going great. I've got together three players that will administrate it. I have a really good feeling NanoBlock will have an amazing future with these three Admins. You won't know who till Nano is ready >:)

I don't want to say much about the server yet, but that we will be using a FTB Modpack, the server will be on 1.7.10, and it [probably] won't be connected to Bungee.

Private Modpack Server : This is a special server for those who gets on Teamspeak. It's a Natural Magic server you can connect via the ATLauncher. You can get the IP by asking around on TS :). ts.craftblock.me, if you're interested!

The server has a few basic commands like /tp and /sethome, but that's about it. It's a semi-vanilla modded server with essential commands, only for those who gets on Teamspeak!

Teamspeeeek. Speaking of Teamspeak, it was just reset last week. Nothing much has changed but I'd like for us to be strict on personal rooms and those who get it. Only supporters, VIPs and staff.

I also set up an option in our Buycraft where you can buy your own room without donating for a CB Rank, or even, buy your own custom TS Group.

Custom/Fun groups are TS groups that aren't official groups, and is prefixed with a # and has a leader. The leader can choose who to give these groups out by asking staff on TS.

Oh, and to control the amount of groups someone can get, we're limiting 4 groups per user on Teamspeak.

Exotros Crusade
    It's up, and still around. Starting a PVP server and trying to make it unique, and competing with a million of other PVP servers is hard, but it's growing slowly. It's not going anywhere.

If you don't know what Exotros Crusade is, it's a PVP/Factions server. A project I started in March, and where the new Forge team built the spawn for (In only a month!). With many plugins to enhance PVP and RPG, and ran by a dedicated, amazing Owner (TheStinkyBeaver), it's something I had a lot of fun working on.

We was slowed down into updating the server due to some system updates and organization, but Beaver is back working on it. Expect new updates coming soon.

1.9 coming soon.
    Minecraft 1.9 will be a huge update for us. Our goal is to get our new spawn, new ranks, new plugins, and everything out when 1.9 is server-plugin ready. The update may happen at the end of November, but we probably won't be seeing an update till end of December to January. We'll probably have a plugin enabled to allow 1.9 clients though

ChocoBlock will be open and unwhitelisted, as well as a temporary new map so you guys can play on 1.9 with the community. (I'm not sure if we'll have it connected to Bungee though).

Huge update! But I'm pretty excited about it. Especially for Crusade since the whole PVP mechanics has been revamped.

Other notes
    Here are some thoughts. :)

• While we could always use more moderators, the current team has been doing amazing work. As staff we're a bit too laid back when there is cursing on the server (A discussion for later) other then that, the team has never been better.
    • I'm a designer, as in that's my career - I make websites and I make them look pretty, and I must say, I am really happy with the new forum design. It's perfect.
    • ChipLover has been doing amazing work with the weekly's. Far above my expectations. Super happy with how shes running it.
    • The server has been crazy laggy lately. Probably going disable more plugins to help.
    • I'M SUPER EXCITED FOR THE UPDATE.

Reply here guys! Tell me your thoughts, talk to me! How do you feel about the server lately?

Also, I won't be doing these a lot, probably once a month Chip posts are better :)

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

If you had to choose one plugin that you could add to CraftBlock, or one feature, what would it be?

2. MissPig

MissPig A Person
    Crafter

i would add a plugin where you could transfer ownership of wolves and cats

3. MissPig

MissPig A Person
    Crafter

and a plugin that you can only capitalize one letter per word

4. what if theres was a plugin for mo creatures :D thatd me awesome

MrMinecraft139 likes this.
  5. Chiplover2

Chiplover2 Deadbeat o3o
    Crafter

Projects:
    Albums:
    It used to be two capitals per word...
    ...Those were the dark times. X3

Went on a server once.They had 50% of the word be capitals. But eh, if people spam with caps, we can just kick or mute or something. No biggie. I like chat freedom for all, myself. :nyan

Underwoof likes this.
  6. Crazyguy619

Crazyguy619 Splatoon Addict
    Crafter

can't wait for nano to be back, and when nano comes back, will it be in the bungee as well? or nah?

7. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Probably not, or I don't know. Different server versions, different client, and I don't know well our server would handle modded clients connecting. I think it'll be solo.

8. DON_Studios

DON_Studios Member
    Crafter

Yay nano !!!! Can't wait!!!!
    Remember I'm ready and waiting to resume my duties as mod!!

Nobody2299 likes this.
  9. Xomee

Xomee Street Savoire Faire
    Crafter

Projects:
    As I remember it doesn't work too well when trying to connect modded to vanilla since you need a whole different client. Though it's not something I've messed with in a few years so they might have found a work around.

10. MrMinecraft139

MrMinecraft139 New Member
    Crafter

Good Idea, it will help out everyone on the server!

11. iessjca

iessjca (っ˘ڡ˘ς)
    CB Admin Crafter

1. I appreciate all of the re-evaluations and updates to the server! I think overall we are on the up + up! :^)

2. I :axe:TreeAssist!

12. Hollybeth

Hollybeth Bang and the dirt is gone !
    Crafter

Projects:
    In reply to your question I've found some nice plugins:
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/dicefurniture-plugin-möbel-plugin.6006/ - This is an amazing interactive furniture plugin with working weapon stands and more inventive furniture ideas.
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/capes.9068/ - Optifine capes are expensive to purchase just for a cape so this provides a nice alternative by typing /cape when a banner is in your hand to have it as a cape and this could be exclusive to some ranks or donors it's just a nice perk.
    https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/rainbow-armour.1028/ - Ever wanted to have more colorful armor ? now this is the plugin for you as you can choose the colour of your armor and make it rainbow.

13. asacavanagh

asacavanagh Breaker and Fixer of the things!
    Consultant to CB

Projects:
    Albums:
    The capes thing I believe was specifically stated in the EULA as not being able to be used unless they were received from Mojang, so as a donator perk, that's a terrible idea incase some knob reports it. Just a thought.

14. Hollybeth

Crafter

Projects:
    https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula This is the Minecraft EULA and when reading through it I don't see how it is breaking anything stated in there as it's not offensive nor illegal in any way and and the plugin is free so they won't be profiting in any way. In one tweet notch said https://twitter.com/notch/status/476477273424789504 that they will be removed but yet their EULA doesn't specifically state that this change has been implemented if this was taken into action so I can see why optifine capes could be removed under the EULA from profiting but as this cape mod is non profit I don't see how it can be illegal. @asacavanagh

15. asacavanagh

Consultant to CB

Projects:
    Albums:
    Because as a perk of a "donation" rank purchase, the server would be "profiting" from it. That is how it was all explained. Although they're labelled "donations" they're actually purchases made to unlock additional game elements not available to everyone. I know by that logic it means any and all purchased ranks on a server that doesn't offer those perks as free to all users is illegal.

CB uses a few techniques to avoid this, one of which is by offering such things like creative, trails, fly and so on, free to anyone, you just have to progress through the survival ranking system first then designer/architect in the case of creative and plugins like WorldEdit and VoxelSniper.

Also, unless a server is listed as a not for profit company/business, anything you purchase from them and recieve an good/service in return, in the eyes of the law is a profitable transaction as far as I'm aware.

From the explanations I've heard, this is my understanding put into a sort of scenario:

If server A, that isn't listed as a not for profit business and has a store selling ranks and/or singular perks, sells a rank to player A, the transaction is deemed profitable for server A and is against the Minecraft EULA. Additionally, I believe If these perks player A is receiving aren't available to all players in some form, server A is in violation of the EULA for Minecraft.
    @HollyWytia

This reply is sort of all over the place, but I'm tired, I hope you get what I'm talking about.

#15 asacavanagh, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  16. Hollybeth

Crafter

Projects:
    I'm aware about the profiting side of the EULA but if the cape mod was offered to players of trusted rank or above then that would comply with the EULA I believe as non donators would still be able to obtain it without donating yet it just may take a bit longer and as for the cape mod it complys with what they have on their EULA. Yeah I get what you're saying xD . @asacavanagh

17. asacavanagh

Consultant to CB

Projects:
    Albums:
    Correct, by offering the capes plugin to be accessible to players in the survival non-donator line of ranks, the server should be acceptably dodging that bullet of the EULA.

18. DON_Studios

DON_Studios Member
    Crafter

As long as nothing is not "donation only " it's ok as you can obtain these things through other non paid ways

19. asacavanagh

Consultant to CB

Projects:
    Albums:
    Exactly what I said.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)