Change in mojangs EULA

cosmic1443

OH DEAR GOD WHY
Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Corn Town
So you may have not heard but there is speculation that mojang will be changing their EULA to not allow pay-to-win servers.  But it will effect all monetary gain in a server which includes anything that could be bought on any server.  Here is a reddit thread that explains it more and shows the conversation with Grum.  
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/27eo9b/no_more_pay_to_win_servers_d/
I know it mentions some other servers, but I would have to show proof somehow so please excuse it.

EDIT: After reading more into it I have discovered that there can still be donations, just not perks to go along with the donations.

cosmic1443

OH DEAR GOD WHY
Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Corn Town
Shouldnt affect voting, seeing how we dont gain any money from it. All we get from voting is more attention.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
cosmic1443 said:
And to answer how long minecraft will be down for, I have no idea.  It is getting DDoSed by some guy protesting the change.
To be honest, I can't disagree with that decision. Mojang are going to be essentially shutting down the vast majority of Minecraft servers. Nobody's going to donate to the server to keep it running, everyone wants something in return. Nobody is generous anymore.

If we stopped offering perks and anything else for donating, donations would likely come to a screeching halt. But it doesn't matter, because with the changes coming to the EULA, we're pretty much boned. :)

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
A lot of speculation, A lot of assuming, Mojang saying little. We'll wait till when the EULA updates before we change anything. I doubt they'll blacklist every way a server can earn income. Blacklisting items makes since, but ranks? That's not apart of Minecraft.

The one problem that we do have is that we're misusing the term "Donation". We'll be changing this soon into "Support" and "Supporters" soon.

Also, we're not pay to win. You free build and have a good time here. Servers like raiding where they give extra perks to raiders by donating is pay2win.

cosmic1443

OH DEAR GOD WHY
Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Corn Town
After reading some tweets by Grum, it appears that this is now a confirmed change. That and him saying that the whole minecraft team has discussed this makes me think that it is going to happen. And on the DDoSing, I believe that it will do some good, but it also hurts the servers and everyone who likes multiplayer on minecraft. In other words it hurts the people it's protesting for.

Ben4900

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
This is just like in school when a couple people act out, and e hole class gets punished.

IMO, if they didn't like or want this from the start, they should of enforced it from the start. Now that a couple years have passed, everyone is used to this setup and servers can by run by donations, etc. but now they want to enforce it. I can see why they didn't want this in the first place, but now it's too far in. This is a load of crap.

Watch this for more info and ranting: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdXHLzU4zA

uhhlking

issa lking
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
America
Upon further investigation, it looks like a lot if servers, maybe even us, are boned. You can charge for access to a server, and accept donations - nothing at all in return.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
When you buy Girl Scout cookies, it's a taxed donation to the Girl Scouts. When you pay at a church car wash, its still donating. Does Mojang seriously think donating is without reward?

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
My dear crackers, donating is its own reward! /sarcasm

Mojang wants to implement something that will screw over a lot of servers.

Mojang just brought out realms, their own subscription based multiplayer experience.

What a coincidence!

uhhlking

issa lking
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
America
"Kill all the servers so they will buy ours!" -Mojang

Thing that really pisses me off is they are saying they own every aspect of the community. Mods, plugins, everything. You can't make money off of it, only they can.

I know that Hypixel is staying, which is bullshit. If they aren't pay2win, I don't know what is. Lets hope we don't go down with the 95% if public servers.

cosmic1443

OH DEAR GOD WHY
Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Corn Town
McMaster777 said:
im guessing realms doesnt have mod/plugin support also?
Grum has said that they are making a plugin api for realms.  But then again they also said that they were going to make the modding api.

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
We might be able to stay afloat here:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][9:30:36 AM] macguy8 || MCAffinity: So selling ranks with prefixes (and just prefixes) is allowed?[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][9:30:47 AM] Erik Broes: No, but I am willing to fight to make it allowed[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][9:30:54 AM] Erik Broes: and will do so on monday[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][9:31:23 AM] Erik Broes: In my personal opinion i'd be ok with it[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][9:31:29 AM] Erik Broes: the EULA right now says no [though][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As of right now, they're talking of the ability to sell ranks. I can only hope that it is included in the EULA. [/font]

McMaster777

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
'Murica
so say we dont follow the EULA and keep doing what were doing, how would anyone know, and what would the problem be with this?

misskoa

addiction.
Staff member
Owner
misskoa
misskoa
Dec 15, 2013
McMaster777 said:
so say we dont follow the EULA and keep doing what were doing, how would anyone know, and what would the problem be with this?
Then we risk a seize and desist letter, we wouldn't be legitimate. 

cosmic1443

OH DEAR GOD WHY
Crafter
Dec 17, 2013
Corn Town
As it turns out this is just a miscommunication between the community and mojang. I think this video explains it the best. https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dnSx_Zk8A7o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)