Building Tips and Tricks

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Somewhere over the Rainbow
22:48:03
These are general tips that can make most structures get that little bit better.
I have sorted most things in categories so that it is easier to find what you're looking for.

(I'm going to add pictures as examples later)
Creative won't make you a better builder, you can only build a bit faster, if you need creative to be good, you're bad.

General
1. Not a must but try and build in odd numbers this helps symmetry, bu also makes roofs and other stuff match better.

(1.5 Use fibonacci numbers 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc these are also known for being a sort of golden ratio, you use three numbers next to each other for the sizes of room.)

2. Start with placing what block types you're going to use next to each other, so you have an idea of hat combinations work. Never use more then 5 basic blocks and Never less then 2.

3. Symmetry isn't always the answer.

4. Plan out stuff, I don't do it, but it bites me so many times if I don't measure stuff out.

5. Don't go too detailed on something small that makes it look cluttered.

6. Try to go with themes.

7. Flat roofs are almost all of the time not a good idea.

8. Big isn't necessarily good.

9. Don't watch how to builds, if you do only rebuild it for the idea of how something is build and make your own immediately after.

10. Give a wall 'layers' (like ogres and onions), then they aren't so flat.

11. Every block can be used for something.

12. Don't put torches everywhere on the outside of a house, it looks weird.

13. Use contrast between blocks and not a spruce wall with oak log corners it doesn't look detailed.

14. Change some stone bricks to cracked and mossy for a bit of detail. Or use a stair to make it look like a brick is missing.

15. Good exterior lighting can draw the eye to key parts of a build and away from parts that are almost impossible to do differently and look bad.

16. Don't use the same blocks on the floor as on the walls.

Realistic building
1. Look at pictures of the thing you want to build.

2. It doesn't have to be a 'real' building, it should be a possible building.

3. Has to do with 2 show proper structure, example: crossbeams in a medieval house.

4. By @_zombie_pigman: [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]When it comes to real things, I take picture of them, redraw it and again turn it into cubes, and think what block would be best[/font]

Fantasy
1. Even though they're from your imagination try don't go overboard with weird stuff.

Feel free to add some of your tips below and I'll add them. And post some screenshots of builds that these helped you with.

And as always I don't count a wooden box as a house.

Edit: added 2 tips
Edit 2: added zombie's tip to realistic
Edit3: important notice

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
Bab this is very helpful info. I suggest moving it to be a building wiki. What do you think?

Nayxerr

mths? I'm Nayxerr now!
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
In my opinion the cracked/mossy stone brick will only looks good if you are going for an old or nature build.

With the style I'm going for on Chocoblock flat roof looks great. If you want to see the build check my videos (*wink wink*)

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
@mths
If it's in the style it's fine, but I hate those styless flatroofs on a house made of 1 material.

Flatroofs look good on more modern houses for example.

Terminator_T800

Hitman
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Germany
Here's another good trick I uses. If you still have Legos lying around somewhere, make a roughy drawing of it and turn it to blocks, e.g a plane, take the wings off and place it on a paper and draw a line around it.

When it comes to real things, I take picture of them, redraw it and again turn it into cubes, and think what block would be best

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
@_zombie_pigman
What block and what size as well probarly since planes can be 50 meters wide, but it wouldn't look as good in mc

Good tip I'll add it tomorrow in the general section.

Chiplover2

Deadbeat o3o
Crafter
Dec 20, 2013
your local bag of chips (so much air in here!)
Fibonacci? I think I saw a TED talk on those, but it was too much math for the weekend :L.
Just make it big enough to not have to cram details in, and small enough so that there isn't a 10-block space without any detail in it.

Measuring? Heh, t'hell with that! X3
Just stick with patterns, mostly. Say, if you wanted to build a wall, fiddle with how a segment is going to look before you start building it. After formulatg a central style you'll be able to get the feel of the build into your mind.

Remember... "Jurnee, nawt dehstinashun" :p

Kornelius

Crafter
Aug 16, 2014
Norway
I havent done much of modern builds in minecraft but i find even numbers works best, and the roof looks good in different hights ther but still flat if you know what i mean, and also, ice is great for widnows in modern builds. I also like to go to youtube for inspiration, i had one year without playing mc, came back after a year with youtube and here i am actually knowing something about building xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)