Ban and temp ban

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
For narbula..
I got it off the mod wiki.  I underlined the ban ranges to make it easy for the eye to get to, just to help us a little.

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
While we're at it;

This case might need some reconsideration:
http://craftblock.me/forum/thread-3031.html

Since there doesn't seem to be any previous problem with this user (according to the ban report), maybe he/she only needs a temporary ban to get on the right track.

Remember that Avoxsas once was a professional griefer. If it wasn't for some merciful mod at Zax's old server we might have never gotten the privilege to meet her here.

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
I...what? I never played the old server. I griefed two blocks of glowstone when I first got Minecraft. You have me confused with some other griefing scoundrel, young IshrkI!

Avoxsas

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Also, I think we need to consider here that all bans will differ.

• How many blocks were griefed? Was the player mining nearby, and also griefing a house? Consider then that the number of blocks rolled back may be considerably higher than the blocks actually griefed. This is why I typically keep my rollback radius to 5-10, and repeat at numerous locations if necessary.
  • What blocks were griefed? Did the player grief a pile of diamond blocks? I'm more lenient on these - what young player wouldn't be tempted by a big ol' lump of diamond? The player who placed the blocks and didn't protect them is partially to blame. Did they grief mainly dirt? Not a huge problem. Be lenient.
Remember, the mod wiki is only a guideline. I'm sure we all appreciate feedback but this is an issue becoming more and more common between our mods. If you have differing opinions on a ban time, post a new thread in staff discussion and state your case. Try not to undermine each other in a public area as then it makes the team look weak.

We don't need this to become a source of hostility. If we can all give our opinions on how long bans should be for, perhaps we can come to a common agreement on what punishments should be handed out for which infractions.

If players still aren't satisfied that they have been punished correctly, they can post a ban appeal. All permanent ban reasons include that detail. Temporary bans will expire without need for an appeal if the player is not aware of that function on the forum.

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Avoxsas said:
I...what? I never played the old server. I griefed two blocks of glowstone when I first got Minecraft. You have me confused with some other griefing scoundrel, young IshrkI!
Ok, so maybe I wanted to spice up the story a little bit. "Two glowstone blocks" doesn't sound very dramatic in my honest opinion.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I agree with what you have in place. I think the ranges are good, I've never had a problem with it and if I did have some unsettling decision on something I knew I could always private message an owner or post something in the staff area. Yes sorry and apologise if I have in public forum disagreed on a decision made, or was looking for further clarification on the matter, more towards crackers. I bring it staff to discuss. I agree it does make it look like there's division within the team.

I always go back to the mod wiki alot, but sometimes I still make mistakes as you have seen, but I'm also willing to amend it to fall back in line with what we have in place. That mod wiki is what I've used to guide me ever since I was trial mod. I had a go at trying to revamp it. Never really changed much of it in the info given apart from everyone swears to many swear, but that's another topic.

I do see what you mean when rolling back, and have thought about that and it's number, that it could be taking in more than what's griefed in the immediate area. I had a player rolled back for r:10. It had alot of blocks changed more then i expected when I was looking at a small area, so I restored it and rolled back 5 and still alot griefed.

If I can prevent people from getting permanently banned, I will try to help them before if its not too late, or banned for anything. But if I saw the player had been dealt with before according to the reports, and I catch him again, thats where I come harder on them. But I am willing to reconsider within good reason. I've seen a few people in my short time as mod change for the better when they've been given another chance.

Narbula

The best thing since Faxbook.
Supporter
Crafter
Mar 24, 2014
Michigan
Ok, sorry for bringing it up in a ban report. I deleted my post on it. And I did read the mod wiki, that's why I was confused. It says 50+ blocks can be a perma ban, and I thought that only 3 days of a temp ban was too low for something that could have been permanent. I was thinking more among the lines of 7 days. But I guess we all have our differences.

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Narbula said:
It says 50+ blocks can be a perma ban, and I thought that only 3 days of a temp ban was too low for something that could have been permanent.
I'm not so sure I agree. Yes it could be a permanent ban. But that would only really be if she had reason to believe that that would be the best way to teach this person how to behave. Afterall, we don't really ban people to protect the community against ~70 blocks griefs. The community won't get discouraged over these kinds of small griefs as long as they are followed up. 

And if someone who has done this kind of thing continues griefing even after a 3 day temp ban it is pretty much ruled out that they didn't just misunderstand the rules.

I put some yellow on things I think are important to consider.

Actually, I'm really impressed by _Sundust_'s huge patience with the kids.

I don't have anyway near as much forgiveness and patience with people that mess up things for others. That's actually the main reason as to why I never wanted to become a Mod.

If anything, I think Sun is doing the server a huge favour with her forgiving and kind style of Moderation. I wouldn't want her to change a thing about how she does her job. (Now that she seems to have toned down the anti curse campaign.) Keep it up!

crackers1097

Crafter
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota
Personally, it's all about the block type imo, and what was blocks were broken.
Someone breaking themselves out or a massive pile of diamond? I won't even make a tempban. They were confused.
A 30 block grief in which someone walks around someone's house and punches all the glass out? That's deliberate, and they're sending a message. Incredibly rude. 1+1/2 week ban.
Someone cuts a swastika out of a house for 16 blocks? Permanent ban, and I'm not going to settle for the "Indian religious symbol" either.
Someone takes out a wall of 60 blocks on a house? Maybe 4 days.
The general ranges seem to be a little too ambiguous. It's a generalization for something that you can't categorize. Ranges should be for when new Moderators are just starting their job, not a duty to uphold. Every situation is different.

_SunDust_

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
New Zealand
I griefed 60 blocks when I was a new player according to my report by ben - I was actually tidying up the plains spawn area in the wild, fixing griefed houses and tidying up the grounds, but it was nevertheless griefing. Though I dont think the people would have felt greifed but would have appreciated the improvement but whos to know what they may have felt. I remember Taz coming back and saying "hey someone added my home into a town" It was only cause I made a town around the homes already there. I was given 3 days ban, that seemed like a longgggg time at the time. Imagine if I had of been permanently banned. lol goodbye _SunDust_. So yeah I appreciate what they have in place. Ive tried to make it a little more clear - under lined etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)