About time for an Intro

Mitochondriac

Crafter
May 11, 2014
I've been sitting here feeling very grateful for the Craftblock community, how welcoming they've been, and how supportive they've been as I've tried to figure out my place in it.

I think y'all have earned the right to know a bit more about me, if you're interested. Let's see...

I'm old. Old enough that I have a daughter who just graduated high school. I'm married to a brilliantly gifted man who just made Designer! (*cheers for Musikloverling2). We have two boys together, 7 and almost 9 years old. Both boys are amazing and fun and love Minecraft. The family that has played together has definitely stayed together. Musikloverling2 and I are about to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We're an Army family, stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. We're about to move, though, to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Yay! Ft. Hood SUX.

I love to cook and bake from scratch, and I hate to do laundry. We have 2 cats we rescued over a year ago from a local no-kill shelter, and one of them likes to sleep on top of the basket of laundry I always forget to fold. We'll have a dog someday. A very special dog. We're working with an organization that trains working dogs for special needs.. Our younger boy is going to have an Autism Assistance dog someday. We're very excited about this. We're not sure the cats will be so excited, but they'll adjust. I hope.

I was raised in a large Mormon family, the 4th of 8 children. As an adult, I respect all faiths that respect others. I'm pagan myself, druidic in practice, and I read the books and follow the FB pages and blogs of anarchists with much curiosity.  Being an Army wife, there's a bit of a conflict of interest there. Haha My life has always been a bit contradictory, so oh well.

I'm an introvert in real life. I'm outspoken and goofy online, and I love helping others have more fun playing MC. I hate Teamspeak. It's too much like talking on the phone, which I hate. Don't expect to see me much there, but I'll type at you all day (or night) long. See you in-game!

valdem0rt

I burn in fire
Crafter
Feb 26, 2014
Welcome to CraftBlock! Ha, it's cool learning about you! And it's amazing you find time to come hang out with us CraftBlock peeps :p

Mitochondriac

Crafter
May 11, 2014
DiamondHunter153 said:
Welcome to CraftBlock! Ha, it's cool learning about you! And it's amazing you find time to come hang out with us CraftBlock peeps :p
I have time because I don't do laundry. :p

TicTacTory

Crafter
Dec 19, 2013
In a green bean
Mito, mito, mito. There is not one thing that is bad about you. Even if you don't fold laundry, your still perfect. You're just a great person to be around. And I thank for your services for the great USA :)

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Might I ask what sort of autism your son has? I find autism quite interesting. :D

Ww_Crow_wW

Tired ™
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
???
Think you hail from a large LDS family? My mom is the fifth of 10 xD.

Any who, great to know more about you, Mito! :D you're a great member of our community and I'm glad you've stuck around long enough to make an into c:

Mitochondriac

Crafter
May 11, 2014
Ar7ificial, both our boys are on the spectrum, though the older one has never been diagnosed. We see no need to, as it doesn't cause him or anyone else enough difficulty. He has Asperger's, we're pretty sure. Being homeschooled, he doesn't run into the troubles with forced social situations that bring out the worst in an Aspie. I've noticed he doesn't do well on Craftblock either, getting easily stressed and not really knowing how to play with the other kids. It'll be a slow process, getting him used to dealing with others, but we have plenty of time. He is why we started checking out servers, to see if we could find a way to get him to hang out with kids that doesn't completely freak him out. He's just about to turn 9 years old. He knows a lot more about Minecraft than I do, and I admire his skill with redstone.

Our younger boy is lower-functioning ASD, and is developmentally delayed. He functions somewhere between 2 and 5 years old mentally, though he's 7.5 years old. He still can't read or write or do math, although he knows the alphabet and can count. However, he's a gifted artist and builder, and he speaks in full sentences now, thanks to speech therapy. Unlike his older brother, he thrives in social situations, being somewhat of a tease and a flirt. LOL

Both boys are very sensitive to sound, and we often see them with their hands clapped over their ears, with distressed looks on their faces. Being rather sensitive to sound myself, I can relate. The older boy doesn't like touch very much, the younger one craves it. He's my cuddlebug. :)

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@Mitochondriac
We had an experience on Buildworx with a player who used a list of symptoms on the Internet to diagnose himself with Asperger's syndrome. It was simply an excuse to be an ass and cause trouble. He ended up being banned. lol

It sounds like your boys might have their own things they're really good at in lieu of the things they aren't so good at. ;) Like your younger boy being a good builder and artist, but not quite so developmentally able. It's pretty cool. :D I don't think I'm quite so sensitive to sound, but I don't like loud noise much. My mom's hypersensitive, though. The sound of cotton fibers rubbing together will send her through the roof. Various other sounds will send her off.

It sounds like your boys can be a bit of a handful. As for your older son, feel free to have him disable his chat while he plays on the server and slowly get him acclimated to the community. It may work. :) I'm sure other players will understand.

rbhusker

Crafter
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Her oldest was talking earlier, and I thought it was pretty cool, he even offered me a diamond! ;) you have the coolest kids mito (and musik lol)

Babfish

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Somewhere over the Rainbow
I have been diagnosed as a mild autist, but some of the questions on those tests, man they don't make any sense.
Do you hear sounds when others don't?
Yes, but I'm also tested on having better ears then most. So yeah...
And she copied them of the internet and I got distracted like crazy from the watermark, wich was also a sign she said, but I think that's ADD

Mitochondriac

Crafter
May 11, 2014
http://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

I found that website when looking for info about my son, and I wasn't too surprised to find myself described in most of these characteristics of an adult female Aspie. I do have trouble dealing with people in real life, but I mostly do ok online.

Mitochondriac

Crafter
May 11, 2014
Babfish said:
Some characteristics are so vague in these tests and profiles, that almist anybody can relate to them in one way or another.
Did you read that pretty extensive, detailed list of characteristics? I agree that taking individual characteristics and applying them to random people could result in that one characteristic fitting many people who are not Aspie. But if you run down that long, long list and check off most of them, it's a pretty good indicator.

But a list on a website on the internet isn't what clued me into my son's probable condition. That would be our extensive (diagnosed) family history of Aspergers. My father, my older sister, and her son. My son is so much like his cousin, it's comical at times. Having such a long history with the condition, having literally been raised around it, I know what it looks like, and thankfully, having watched my sister's trial and error experience with her son, I know some of what to do, and what not to do.

JustSam98

Crafter
Dec 30, 2013
Australia
Hey! Welcome Mito, I have seen you on a lot and you seem to help people all the time.

Also, my brother has ADHD, he's a little sh*t but I love him :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)