About Halo and the likes

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Hello dear staff peoples.

I'm writing this in hopes of getting a better angle when approaching problematic players.

As it is, or maybe it just seems so, right now we have collectively developed a disadvantageous attitude towards these players. It looks as if we as a mob suddenly turns on a player and start bringing down all their little mistakes on them as if we were going on a rabid witch hunt.

In the case with Halo specifically; I think that the fact that we kind of ganged up on him made him stressed and therefore reacted very poorly to the criticism that was brought forth.
Maybe he could have straightened up and got things in control if we would have shoved him more respect and stayed neutral in both the in-game disputes as well as in the threads on the forums?

I don't think it's very wise to label a person as " the new killerz". Let people define themselves.

I would like you all to take a step back and try to see this whole situation more objectively for a moment.

... And then please post your thoughts  and reflections here.

Thank you. :)

Narbula

The best thing since Faxbook.
Supporter
Crafter
Mar 24, 2014
Michigan
I don't vouch for his appeal until I see him be a little more mature about everything. I just read his ban report, and I'm actually quite surprised since yesterday, I think it was Sam, made him read the Donor Code of Conduct (or at least he told him to, nobody really knows if he read it or not, but Halo said he did read it). Then today he spawns in silverfish cobble for him? :l I never really had a problem with him personally until yesterday when he accused me of picking sides when I was just trying to do my job. But from what I've seen of him lately, all he does really is cause trouble.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
@Narbula Based on what halodudejake said, it would appear as though he may have accidentally placed cobblestone Silverfish block instead of Cobblestone.

Either way, I do think some players are being quite immature about a lot of things. This is part of why I've grown tired of running servers. I'm more tired of the ungrateful players and immature players than anything. I'm sick of childish bickering, and squabbling over nothing and petty things like what went on between killerz and halodudejake recently before killerz was globally banned.

For these reasons, I tend to stay out of these issues unless I absolutely must get involved. Petty arguments are a waste of my time, your time... everyone's time, really. But almost all of them require interjection from a sensible mind who isn't aiming to fuel the fire or watch the fireworks.

My opinion on the issue is to slap some kids upside the head and tell them to grow the hell up. Some of them really, REALLY need it! I did that to sam quite a few times, in addition to trying to help him out with his troubles. I did the same to notorious123 a while back, and he shaped up A LOT. Sometimes, all it takes is a little bit of "hey, dude, you really need to just grow up."

Other times, it isn't so easy.

But I digress; I'm beginning to ramble.

In the case of halodudejake, I suggest talking to him one-on-one so we can fully understand his position without him being attacked in a public scene like he was on his ban report. You're right, @"IshrkI", we should let players define themselves and not label them "another killerz." But we shouldn't allow them develop a bad definition, either. Get his word on everything, privately, away from the public eye. Then speak with the other party or parties involved.

Omega_Shenron

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
Windstad Manor, Skyrim, Tamriel
I feel like with some of the new, younger players us staff are becoming babysitters. Like Ar7 said some people need a wake-up call. I realize this probably looks bad since I am the same age or younger than most of these players so I'm going to shut up now :D

rbhusker

Crafter
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Im going to have to say no more chances.

I first meet him when he joined nemus. He griefed a lot and he kept telling me he would stop. He never did. I decided it would be best to kick him out of town permanently.

He has continually said he is done with his nad ways but always seems to go back to breaking one rule or another, and getting banned, over and over again.

Ar7ific1al

Supporter
Crafter
Dec 15, 2013
Omega_Shenron said:
I feel like with some of the new, younger players us staff are becoming babysitters. Like Ar7 said some people need a wake-up call. I realize this probably looks bad since I am the same age or younger than most of these players so I'm going to shut up now :D
Everyone makes mistakes, you know that. You yourself have made a few. @Lking846 has made his fair share, as well. You are both quite young, younger than 14 iirc. However, you are both considerably more mature and responsible than the majority of younger players in this community. Neither of you act like children, to be honest.

In general, children are usually brats and immature. There are exceptions to every rule. You and Lking are examples of this fact, even if you do still make mistakes and occasionally exhibit immaturity or irresponsibility. We're all human and we can all make those mistakes.

As a server administrator, it is my duty to make sure players, as well as mods, help to ensure a certain quality in the community. When I am no longer able to do so, it becomes difficult to be more than just a baby sitter. For the past several months, that's what I have felt like I have been for CraftBlock: a baby sitter.

Holy_Rabbitz

Empress of Imagination
Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
forever in the heart of broadcast
I tried not to gang up on him. I was trying to be very friendly towards him. Plus, when I said "exploiting monster eggs" I mean he was taking them out of his creative inventory and distributing them. :p

IshrkI

Crafter
Dec 16, 2013
I have an idea.

If a staff member starts to handle a specific "problem", that person should also be the "owner" of that specific problem.

Let the mod/admin/owner that first picks it up also be the "spokesperson" for the server in the thread(s) that it is brought up.

If anyone else (from the staff) has complimentary facts/opinions/ideas regarding this "problem", he/she can take it up in a thread in the staff discussion forum.

If the staff person wants the rest of the staff to partake in the discussion on the public forums he/she can just invite the rest of staff to post in the thread. Might be necessary in some cases and just convenient in other. :)

Why?

Because:

* Reinforced authority.

* A streamlined source of directions/consequences

* Players wont feel as overwhelmed when corrected, they can escape with their "pride" intact and has a bigger chance of acting maturely about what happened(?).

* Contradictions are avoided to a bigger degree.

Furthermore:

In the case of a ban appeal, the staff member that delivered the punishment should be the one to (if at all needed) question the appropriateness of lifting the ban. If the staff member is merely a moderator or admin she/he should ultimately come with a recommended verdict (that the owners will or (in extreme cases) will not grant).

I think that our previous methods of handling problems have been good, but in the same speed that the server grows and we are putting in more and more moderators, we will need to be even better.

This is all just a suggestion/idea that I just came up with. It's obviously something that needs to be considered carefully before we try to enforce it.

What do you all think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)