1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out this week's build competition!
    http://craftblock.me/this-weeks-theme
    Dismiss Notice

A Promise of Silence

Discussion in 'Literature' started by EbeeGirl, May 22, 2017.

1. EbeeGirl

EbeeGirl The Banner Queen
    Crafter

Projects:
    Note: This is only a part of the "short story" I'm writing so some of the names and things said may not make a whole lot of sense where it "ends".

What's a child supposed to do when he's left alone in the silence?
    A pale, dark-haired boy ran around joyfully in a field full of flowers. Marigolds nodded their little heads as the aster and bellflowers sprouted their imperfect star petals. Fluffy marshmallow clouds loomed overhead as green blades of grass twinkled from the morning dew. It was peaceful, serene, calm and every other relaxing word one could imagine. It was warm and joyous and tranquil. It was everything the heart could take in and colors the eyes could only boggle at. The perfect cliche for a love to blossom or a tragic event to ensue.

His paper features complimented his ink black hair stunningly, along with the small streaks of light barely managing to make it shimmer. His ice blue eyes were not cold like their color would suggest, but bright like the sky. Those orbs illuminated themselves in the pure joy that was radiating off of him. Why wouldn't a child be joyous and merry when surrounded by the light of the dazzling Sun? It brightened even the darkest of corners and allowed even the warmth of its beams comfort the warm tears of those who lost so much. The rays dancing over. their faces and told them not to cry, to be happy, to feel the strange emotion of contentness despite their suffering being all too evident. So the boy had no reason to be unhappy in the comforting embrace of the light.

"You'll never catch me at this rate!" The ravenette exclaimed, dashing around as another figure followed suit. This figure was the one unable to catch him, but caught all of his looks. This figure was a female with his icy blue eyes, his gleaming dark hair, and skin that rivaled the whiteness of snow. She, too, was enjoying herself as the sound of laughter escaped her lips. This figure was his older sister. His dear older sister.

"Catch me and I'll show you a magic trick!" He shouted again, trying to get her attention back from the blur of the fun. His sister wasn't able to focus on everything at once, unlike him. The beautiful flowers caught her eyes, the small insects dancing on their petals and the blades of grass and in the air all slowed her pace, and she was completely enamored by the gorgeousness of it all. "C'mon, slowpoke! I thought you wanted to grow up to surpass Mom and Dad someday!"

His words unleashed her rage and the discipline a slightly older sister would have to instruct. His words, however, were purposeful and meant to cause it. Her icy eyes seemed to flame at his challenge--his challenge of if she could achieve her dream--and he was down for the count before he could even blink. The flowers had turned against him as their blinding beauty hid them warping together around his feet, restraining his movement so the only place he could go was down. And down he had gone.

"Caught you!" The girl shouted happily, jumping up and down in victory. The split moment anger had faded and it was replaced by pure bliss at the fact she had succeeded in catching him.

Her brother laughed as well, not stressed at the fact he had lost. Not angry at the fact a girl beat him or that his challenge had been overcome so easily. "Yeah, I guess you did, didn't you?"

He wouldn't tell her that he let her win.

"So..." she trailed off, stopping her small victory dance suddenly and rather quickly, "You said you'd show me a magic trick. I wanna see a magic trick, brother!" Her childlike nature wasn't to be unexpected; she was only seven after all.

The male grinned. "Promise you won't scream?"

"You're not scary at all! I have no reason to be scared of you!" His sister declared, pointing her finger down at him. The male hadn't moved from his position on the ground, aside from flipping over onto his back.

That was until the female blinked and he was gone. And as soon as he disappeared, he reappeared behind her, running his fingers through her silky locks.

She all, but screamed as she yelped in surprise, spun around and sent her hand flying right for his face. Conveniently for him, his hand was already extended towards her and it took him little effort to grasp her small wrist in his own small fingers.

The male pouted. "I thought you said you wanted to see a magic trick?" His voice was questioning, more surprised that his sister had reacted so poorly when he had done something so strange.

But it wasn't strange.

"Wow! Mom taught you how to do that, huh?! I wanna be able to do that, too!" She exclaimed, her previous fear replaced with curiosity and excitement. "I wanna be just like you, too! How come you inherited a cool power?"

"But Mason's power is cool, too," he stated, releasing her hand after realizing she no longer posed a threat of clawing out his eyes in fear. Even if she had attempted to now and had feigned ignorance before, she would've been stopped by the older redhead who approached the twins with his own younger sibling in tow.

"Looks like you two are having fun," the thirteen-year-old almost muttered with a bitter tone. His hand was clasped tightly onto his younger brother's who appeared to be around three. The younger of the two redheads waved with their free hand, unable to run up and give them a hug due to his brother's grasp. "Your mom is looking for you, and I just happened to be walking by in her panic. You're going to kill her if you keep running off. You know how dangerous it is."

The twins listened to the male's lecture, nodding absentmindedly so he wouldn't repeat himself. They wanted to keep playing together like this forever. They wanted to be alone to dance in the comforting rays in a never ending day.

The older redhead sighed and asked, "Do you promise to stop running off?"

And, of course, the two replied in unison with, "I promise!"

And, of course, they had the most innocent expressions, filled with honesty and the childlike expressions that every seven years old should have.

And, of course, their pale, little fingers were crossed behind their backs when they had spoken those two simple words.

"I promise."

#1 EbeeGirl, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    DeltaBeetle and Chiplover2 like this.
  2. Miner1995

Miner1995 Member
    Crafter

Nice story I like it alot. i saw a few things this was the main one i saw though:

This figure was a female with his icy blue eyes, his gleaming dark hair, and skin that rivaled... I am assuming that your talking about the figure

I can't remember if there were others but this one caught my eye

3. EbeeGirl

EbeeGirl The Banner Queen
    Crafter

Projects:
    I was saying the figure had the boy's eyes and the same color hair. It was to show their similarity.

Chiplover2 likes this.
  4. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Really nice story.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)