1. Check out this week's build competition!
    http://craftblock.me/this-weeks-theme
    Dismiss Notice

CraftBlock Moving to Discord

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by misskoa, Feb 23, 2017.

1. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Albums:
    This will be a long written post about Discord, Teamspeak, and why we're changing our primary discussion tool of choice. But the gist is, we're changing our primary tool for talk to Discord! If you're interested, check it out:

https://discord.gg/pKkvZBj

You'll have to sign up, but that's okay. You can enter the server via browser, or download the apps on your desktop or phone, for free :)

Now the rest of this post well explain why this decision is made, why it's important for us to do this. I know we have TS diehearts here, and for those players, don't worry, TS is not going anywhere.

What Is Discord?
    If you haven't heard of Discord, I'd be surprised. It's like this super popular chat application. It's powerful, and at the same time simple. It's kind of like Teamspeak, but simpler and much easier to use.

On our Discord server, we have a simple set-up. There's separate channels for separate topics, and multiple voice channels to use. One huge difference between TS and Discord is that voice channels and text channels are separate, but that also makes Discord powerful in a way. It allows you to engage on our Discord server, without having to hear or talk.

Another, albeit, lacking feature is roles. No fancy icons like on TS, but you do get pretty coloured names.

I'll explain more features on "Why Discord", but for now, think of Discord as a super simple, easier chat application to use.

Why Discord?
    If anyone here remembers, I tried moving us to Discord, about almost a year ago, if not longer. It didn't last long. I decided to move back.

The truth is, I just didn't know how truly powerful Discord was. After using it, I actually thought it was just too damn simple and hated my decision and quickness of even moving. I was just annoyed and tired of how TS never worked out for us. It wasn't long till I gave up and just went back to TS.

Lately, however, I been running a separate gaming community. It's a Discord only community (Nothing related to Minecraft). And after lots of love and dedication to it, it's been great, and growing pretty well. I've learned how to use Discord as a server owner and I realized how powerful it actually is. The discord community I made, about 6-7 months ago is now growing pretty rapidly.

See, Discord, while it doesn't look like much at first glance, actually offers a lot, and there is a huge community of Discord users behind it. An entire ecosystem of gamers, willing to meet and play with each other. That ecosystem is strong, and is something we should tap into.

So, to give a clear list of the reasons we're giving prioritization to Discord:

• While Discord looks simple, it offers a lot. For example, our new set-up for our server allows you to level up by being active, and by leveling up you can gain ranks. Some other custom features is mini-text games, picking flowers as currency, and more.
    • The ecosystem on Discord is huge, and it's something we should tap into. With advertising the Discord efforts, we'll definitely see a boost of players, joined because of our Discord.
    • Better interactivity. You can interact without being in voice, you can share builds faster, share selfies, talk about anything in an instant with other players, without being in-game or in a voice channel.
    • The most important reason behind this move, is because if we're trying to build a close-knit community, we need to use tools that does this, without any barriers or walls. As mentioned above, Discord lets us talk to players, interact with players, and keep players updated without having to be in-game, read our slow loading forums, or be in our Skype group (Which is just junk. Who even likes Skype?). Along with free apps in the app store, you can join the discord server with a link, a mobile app, or download the client. There is no barriers, except for having a separate login for Discord.

Teamspeak is staying
    All this post means is that we're just re-wording our advertising. On the server, you'll still see our TS IP and we're not forgetting it. It's not shutting down. What we will be doing is changing how much more Discord is advertised then TS. Our goal is to get players on Discord, and... maybe one day try TS if others in the community wants them to join that too. Think of Discord as our primary tool, and Teamspeak as secondary.

Here's my personal rant.
    Teamspeak is frustrating. I strive to have a tool for us to be close to players too, and I been trying to make Teamspeak happen for years for CraftBlock. It's really hard to get players to download the application, and to have them figure out the interface on TS.

And when they do decided to install it, the chances of them coming back is almost never. And the growth of our Teamspeak has been so slow. Sure, we're getting at-least 5-10 people in a room, if we're lucky, but that's it! Theres no engagement other then that. You join, talk, leave.

Discord settles all of our problems. It let's our engage with our players, it let's players interact with us, and let them be themselves, it gives them something to do, online or offline on our servers. Soon enough, you'll even be able to interact online while being offline. It's that powerful.

A Decision Without Voting
    When I made this decision on Skype, I sounded ignorant, like I don't care about whatever anyone else thinks, it's my way or the highway. That's not at all true. I almost always make sure we're voting for decisions, and make sure everyone has a say. But it's really hard to get people out of their comfort zones, and to most here, this is out of it.

I'm tasked with making the important decisions to keep the community up, and I feel like, this is a must for us to do, not just to grow the community, but to keep it organized, and sane, and our long term goal, close-knit. I love Teamspeak, it's the application I first used to meet Zax and my best friends on here, and without Zax or them, none of this would've happened. But I believe that when one application becomes outdated, it's time to start using more modern tools.

This decision came from what I think will be best for us, I think this will help us lead a better light, and help us use better tools to best suit our community. I just hope you guys can help alongside me so we can make this possible.

That's all.

The invite link is above if you want to join. Once you join you should be able to read the wiki and figure it all out. If anything, please post here, or in the Discord channel, #support to help.

If you're downloading the application, make sure to use the invite link: https://discord.gg/pKkvZBj in "Add Servers".

Thankss.

#1 misskoa, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    BlueBlaze596 likes this.
  2. SuperSulphur

SuperSulphur Baroooooon
    Crafter

Finally! :)

BlueBlaze596 likes this.
  3. Galaxy_Capt

Galaxy_Capt oH sNaP iT'S a CAPt!!!1!!!!!!1! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Supporter

Projects:
    ^ Yup :D

BlueBlaze596 likes this.
  4. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Albums:
    Fixed the invite linked.

BlueBlaze596 likes this.
  5. the2875

the2875 Adjusted Bulk Award Credit Per Dollar Value
    CB Mod

Projects:
    It is what it is :p

6. iessjca

iessjca (っ˘ڡ˘ς)
    CB Mod

discord is a whole lot of fun and has lots of capabilities that teamspeak doesn't even come close to

i'm excited for our adoption of it as a communication platform and look forward to creating new moments there :)

BlueBlaze596 likes this.
  7. Tazboi

Tazboi Active Member

Albums:
    Fixed

#7 Tazboi, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. misskoa

misskoa addiction.
    Owner

Projects:
    Albums:
    FYI we had some problems earlier with a troll. This should be fixed and you should be unbanned.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)